Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandm55

Whew ..Feeling a little overwelmed

MandM55
10 years ago

Well I am knee deep in caterpillars. I had to send my husband to Lowes to get more milkweed. He bought what they had.
I have a lot of caterpillars inside and even more outside on the milkweed that I have planted.

How do you guys pace yourselves? I feel like I need to save them all. I know I know. I can't save them all. My head says one thing but my heart says another. Every time I go out to cut milkweed to feed my caterpillars, I find 3-4 more babies ! Don't get me wrong, I am so happy to see so many. I just am feeling a little overwelmed I guess.

Thanks!
Michelle

Comments (10)

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Yes, it can be overwhelming! Just do what you can and if you know someone that can take some to raise, that helps, even if you have to provide the milkweed! When school starts, there are always teachers that would appreciate raising some cats--just make sure they understand what they are getting into.

I raised over a hundred cats at one time this summer, and I thought I wouldn't make it through it. Collecting food 4 times a day, cleaning out containers, etc. But, I made it. I would have had to raise at least 50 more, but a friend took those and helped me out. It doesn't last forever--the Monarchs thank you!

Sandy

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I'm sure we all wish we could help. Do you have any friends or neighbors who might be able to help out? It seems so unfair that you are overwhelmed when so many of us wish we could find more to raise. I've never seen the milkweed as healthy as it is this year in Michigan. But, we have barely any Monarchs this year. I had one ELF several weeks ago, and now I have 20+ chrisalids hanging around. I'm hoping we'll still get a swarm in time for the migration. Hang in there, and remember you have personal limits on what you can do on your own.

Martha

• MandM55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you.
    I feel better. I wish I could send some to you Martha. :) I really can not believe how many there are. I do feel very lucky, believe me. I am still learning. I think just trying to learn all the ropes had me a little anxious because I want to do the right things.
    In the end the wonderful butterfly is worth it. I love seeing them flying outside in my garden.

Michelle

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Michelle, you actually could send eggs in the mail. There are companies that sell eggs and cats routinely. I don't know whether it introduces unacceptable risks to the greater population, for some reason, but it might be worth it in the current situation. Maybe others will chime in with an opinion.

Martha

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

My experience with shipping eggs has not been positive. Unless you can produce ideal shipping conditions, your eggs will probably arrive dead. Even the eggs shipped from butterfly producers have a higher rate of mortality than in nature. You would need to ship in a moisture controlled container, styrofoam or some other insulating material to protect from heat, and overnight them. That's why it's so expensive to buy eggs on line.

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Michelle, it is so exciting to me to read that you are overwhelmed with your Monarch numbers. Everyone has really been worried about them this year, and it is so great to know that someone is having such success raising and releasing them. If I were anywhere close to you, I would drive to you and take some of them off your hands. I really would. Just do the best you can. I know that it can get overwhelming trying to keep cages clean and fresh food inside them, but it all matters so much. I released almost 100 Monarchs a few years back, and so I really can relate. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing this for them. You can certainly vent to us, and we will send words and prayers of encouragement to you. :o)
    Angie

• Liz
    10 years ago

Hi there!
    1. I am sure all of us in the more northern latitudes are jealous
    2. Don't stress
    3. Every little bit helps
    4. Fantastic photo!

On a more serious note, I believe it is mainly the migratory populations of the monarch that are in trouble. Further south, in Florida and tropical areas, The butterfly tends to breed year-round and it is much less affected by the changes in agricultural practices. The Monarch is not in danger of extinction. It exists in other parts of the world. Of course, we don't want to lose the migratory butterflies and we should do everything to help them. But if you are in zone 9, I am not sure that you personally have to worry that much. However, others who are more knowledgeable than I may be better able to respond to this issue.

For those who may not have read the book, Doug Tallamy's "Bringing Nature Home" is a real eye opener. In it, he talks about the vital role that moths and butterflies play in the entire ecosystem. Larvae, a.k.a. caterpillars, are a vital source of protein for developing songbird chicks. This is particularly true of the tiny caterpillars of all those little moths that flutter around our outdoors lights. Birds will not be able to raise young and survive without those caterpillars to eat. Much as we love butterflies, it is important to remember that, by and large, nature knows what she is doing. So don't stress! By leaving the caterpillars on the plants to get eaten, you are not necessarily doing a bad thing, even though it seems cruel. (At least, unless the butterfly is truly endangered, which I don't think the Monarch is in your area.)

Sorry for the rant, I'm off the soapbox now!
    Liz

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

@bandjzmom That is a great shot! Love how they are hanging upside down, half facing one way the other half the other.

Yeahp dr.liz is right as I am jealous. Don't worry about the rant. Until finding this forum I didn't realize what was going on around me. Monsanto has tents set up all over the area. They are secretive of what they are doing but I do remember seeing canola in them years ago. It is these new genetically modified plants that are roundup resistant that are possibly partially responsible for the decline in Monarchs. I now cringe as I drive by them.

SCG

• MandM55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! I hope I didn't sound like I was ungrateful or that this was a chore. I just jumped in head first. And Liz, you are right. I have to keep reminding myself that everything, everyone has a purpose. Especially in nature. I have lots of birds as well. my husband and I just planted 20 milkweed plants along our fence.

• Liz
    10 years ago

Not at all. It's a great thing that you planted the milkweed, and pat yourself on the back for the ones you are raising! As for me, I'm no expert. I am raising my first brood of monarchs right now, and I'm a nervous Nellie.
    Take care,
    Liz

Sponsored