Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathytnj

So so excited - my first butterfly eggs ever that I've seen

kathytnj
10 years ago

I have butterfly eggs!!! I believe they are swallowtails. We've had black swallowtails and eastern tiger swallowtails hanging around. They're on the dill. Some are white eggs and some are yellow eggs. One of them looks like it may be turning orange? I'm not equipped to raise them, that's something I'm hoping to do next year. About how long do they take to hatch? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• kathytnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, I'm not sure I have enough dill, so would I be able to buy organic dill in the produce department of the grocery store to feed cats? Hope that's not too dumb a question.

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

How very very exciting!!! I recall the day when I first spotted butterfly eggs on host plantings. It's just thrilling! If you want to bring them into a container to raise them, you probably already have something on hand that would work fine. They are easy to raise, and the caterpillars are quite beautiful. They will eat Dill, Fennel, or Parsley, and it is critical to be sure that whatever you buy has not been sprayed with insecticides. If you leave them out there, it is highly likely that they will be consumed. Only 1% of butterfly eggs make it past the egg stage. I would be happy to speak to you about how to raise them. Just send a private message if you'd like to have some individual help. :o)
    Angie

• terrene
    10 years ago

Kathy, finding the first egg is an exciting experience! In my case it was a Monarch egg, and I thought, "wow it's amazing what's going on out here in Nature I had no clue about."

The Black Swallowtail eggs will darken as they get close to hatching. In my experience they usually take about 4-6 days to hatch depending on the ambient temperature.

Do you have any local farms, preferably organic? You could ask the grower if they use any sprays on their herbs. Even organic produce can be suspect if they use an organic spray like BT that will kill all caterpillars.

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Congrats, congrats, Kathy!

Sherry

• TreeRoots
    10 years ago

Congrats!
    When I saw Eastern Black Swallowtails on my tiny dill, I went to the local greenhouse and bought five 4" pots of parsley. Small enough of a plant that I could just stick in inside my butterfly net, and swap it out for a fresh plant once they'd eaten the leaves off. Parsley grows back, so once your group moves on, you'll have more food for future cats :)

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Hi Kathy,
    I got your email, but there was not a way for me to reply privately as there doesn't seem to be an email connected to your (My Page) here. I would really like to call you or have you call me. It will be much easier to explain and understand over the phone. Please send another private email with your email or phone number included. Thanks. I'm home now and not busy.
    Angie

Sponsored