Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Caterpillars?

Posted by TabbyWhite Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 19:52

My mom found what look to be two large Eastern tiger swallowtail caterpillars on her young tulip tree. She doesn't want them eating the tree, and so was pretty adamant that they be moved. I don't know what they will eat that we have in our yard (aside from tulip tree), and so am not sure where to put them. Right now, they are in one of those Insect Lore butterfly garden containers, but I also have my five painted lady pupae in there and am very worried because the tigers are disturbing them.

If I put the tigers in the weeds, will they find sustenance on their own? (It sounds like a bad idea, but I thought I would ask.) I've read on different sites that they will eat willow, cottonwood, birch, or lilac bushes, all of which we have, but opinions seem to differ. Would it be safe to relocate them to any of those? In the meantime, will they hurt the painted ladies? I don't know anything about caterpillars, so I have no idea! :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Caterpillars?

They won't hurt the painted ladies unless the ladies are eating something they'll eat, and the ladies are much smaller than the tiger cats - they could accidentally eat them along with the leaf.
The favorite host plant for tiger swallowtails here is wild black cherry/Prunus serotina. Do you have a wooded area near you where there are tulip trees growing wild or wild black cherry? They'll also eat Ptelea trifoliata, but that's not too common, and they reportedly will eat sassafras.
The best thing to do would be to find some wild tulip trees and put them on them.
Sherry

o

Thanks you for the response, Sherry. It's good to know that the painted ladies will be okay. I wasn't sure how they would interact. Unfortunately, I don't think we have any of those plants, not even wild tulip trees. My parents had to buy ours, which is why they don't want the tiger caterpillars munching on it and perhaps damaging it. I've been trying to give the tigers willow leaves and branches, and while they seem to like climbing on them, I haven't noticed them eating any. They're sticking to the tulip tree leaf. Isn't there anything else? If there isn't, my mom will probably let us put them back, but I'm hoping for an alternative.

o

There is a long list of tiger host plants in one of my books.
They are:
Arizon ash
Carolina ash
Green ash
White ash
Black cherry
Common chokecherry
Common peach
Mexican plum
Apple
Camphor-tree
Common catalpa
American hornbeam
Eastern cottonwood
Mock orange
Sassafras
Sweet bay magnolia
Tulip tree
Common lilac
Hop tree
Spicebush

I hope you have some of these and one of them will do.

Sherry

o
RE: Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Caterpillars?

Thank you so much! We have many, many wild lilac bushes around our house, so hopefully they'll do fine there, no worse for the wear. I really appreciate your help. =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here