Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Photos on Photobucket

mboston_gw
11 years ago

I haven't checked in much this summer but went out today and had a good time getting pictures. Numbers and species have been pretty good overall this season.

Zebra Longwings have made a comeback, Eastern Blacks as well. The regulars: Polydamas, Gulf Frits, Monarchs, Sulphurs of all types, Long-tailed Skippers, Giants come just about everyday as do the other skippers and blues. White Peacocks, Pipevines, Buckeyes, Tigers,and even a Queen have shown up recently.

I have had numerous male Spicebush but only a couple females. Today was the first time I saw eggs on my Camphor, after watching two males chase a female.

Instead of posting the 20 pictures I took, please check out my album at Photobucket, if you wish. go to mboston_2009. You can look at all you want but the first 20 are just from today. Funny, I didn't get a Monarch, large Sukphur or the Polydamas but they were all around, too.

Comments (8)

• Rhonda
    11 years ago

Mboston, I just checked out your album and your pics are wonderful. You have beautiful butterflies, hummers and flowers! Thanks for sharing

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

You have some beautiful photos! A couple butterflies that I've never seen, Zebra Longwing and a Queen.

It took me awhile to find your album so I'll link it below for the other technology challenged folks. (I hope I'm not the only one)

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket Mboston_2009

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Christie!

• fighting8r
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you are seeing the ZLW too! We have been up to our ears this year! Brought in 16 cats yesterday. Considering we only relased 30-something the whole year last year. And that was really having to hunt for them. They have been so rare previously!

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Mary, so good to hear from you!! You might have noticed on one of the threads, that I mentioned your absence, so you have an important impact on the forum here!

Love the photos - do you band hummers?

What kind of passion vines are pictured? I recognize Maypops or P. incarnata.

You, too, grow Cosmic Orange Cosmos? I have to be careful because it can easily get out of hand, but I couldn't NOT grow it because the butterflies and other beneficials love it so.

Love the "Nana and Asher" photo, too. I am a Nana with a two year old GD, Charlotte. My eldest GD is McKenna and she is 10 years old, turning 11 in October. They grow up way too fast! Charlotte is already showing a love of bugs! It is so precious to see the awe and wonder on her face.

Fantastic photo album and I thoroughly enjoyed your photos! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm including a photo of my Lavender Porterweed, which has attracted hummers, big butterflies and small skippers alike.

Susan

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Good to hear from you, Mary, and I'm glad you're seeing lots of butterflies!

Sherry

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone - glad you enjoyed the photos.

Susan - no, I don't band hummers butwe have a guy here in Lakeland who has had a few rare hummers show up over the years as well as his Ruby-throats. Many of those are returnees from past years (one has come back for 8 years now). So when Fred Bassett comes to band in his yard, he makes a few stops elsewhere in town. I had a questionable bird 3 years ago, turned out to be an immature female rufous. She has come back each winter since but this last one she would only show up now and then. Guess she didn't like sharing the yard with the immature male Rufous who came and stayed. Rufous are very territorial, even more so than Rubies. Its amazing to get to hold one of those tiny tiny birds and feel their heart beat so fast.

I love being a Nana and Asher has learned so much about birds and butterflies already. he can spot a chrysalis before I do sometimes. We raised tadpoles this summer - I told him, it was metamorphsis like with the butterflies and he looked at me and said, "What kind of chrysalis will the tadpoles make in water?" I'm attaching a picture we took when we went to see "Thomas the Train" last spring. He turned 3 at the end of June and started Preschool a couple weeks ago.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

He is such a handsome guy, Mary! Kids are such fun to teach about insects, because they have a natural curiosity about them. My older GD, Kenna, spent a lot of time with me in the garden collecting caterpillars and food, and helping me clean cages. She loved to gather a bouquet of flowers for her mommy, dig in the dirt, and water the flowers. These little minds absorb so much, so fast, that I feel far behind them on the learning curve at my age now, lol!

Susan