Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Albino Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 19:57

You may remember my previous thread about the albino gulf frit caterpillar that I found - it's growing and looks very healthy. I got a picture of it earlier this afternoon, but I was somewhat disappointed, because the cat never would hold it's head up - I wanted to get a good picture of its "face." Well, about an hour or so later, I noticed that it had molted, so I guess that's why it was so still - duh! :) I got another picture after the molt, and the cat looked different than it had just an hour earlier! I also made a picture of a normal gulf frit cat for comparison -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here's the first picture I took when I first found the cat -
it was tiny at this point -
Here's the first picture I took of the cat today, before the molt - its head looked to be entirely black at this point -
And here's the picture taken shortly after the cat had molted - notice that it's feet have gone from black to blue and it's head is orange with the black markings typical of a normal gulf frit -
The cat is about ?3rd maybe 4th instar, still has some growing to do. This has been really interesting!
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Albino Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar

Fascinating! The photos are wonderful. Can't wait to see the butterfly.

o

Cool!

o

Wow! Love the photos!

o

So intriguing, Miss Sherry! Have you noticed whether or not it is sensitive to light which is a typical response in albinism?

Susan

o

Susan, I found the cat on a cloudy day, so it occurred to me that maybe it stayed hidden when the sun was out - the passionvines it was on are real thick, and it could have easily hidden there. I brought it in to raise myself in one of the cages on my covered and always shady porch, so there was no sunlight there. I've put it in sunlight to make its picture a few times, but it was late in the afternoon, and I didn't keep it out for long, so I really don't know if it's light sensitive, but I suspect it is.
It's been eating a lot today, so it'll probably molt one more time, them pupate. Of course, gulf frits don't stay in their chrysalis very long, so it shouldn't be too long before I get a butterfly. I'll post another picture of it, if it changes after the next molt.
Sherry

o

Did the butterfly look normal?

o

The chrysalis turned black pretty quickly, as I recall, but I kept it anyway for many months. I had hoped that this was just another abnormal color variation, not a dead chrysalis, which is what a black one normally is. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, it was dead. I guess the genetic abnormality that caused the odd coloring was what kept it from becoming a butterfly.
Edith at the Shady Oak Butterfly Farm had a white one that DID become a butterfly - it was much paler than normal. Since the beauty of gulf frits is the intense color of the newly emerged adults, a pallid one isn't desirable anyway.
Sherry

o

Great learning experience for us new to butterfly gardening anyway. I wish I could take photos this nicely. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here