Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Important Information about RSPs and their Kin

MissSherry
10 years ago

When red-spotted purples, viceroys, and white admirals (and their hybrids) lay their eggs, they lay it on the very end of the leaf. When the egg hatches, the tiny hatchling makes a string, or 'perch' if you will. The hatchling will object to being removed from the leaf it started off life on, and if you force it, you'll undoubtedly kill it. You'd be surprised how much they can grow on what looks like a bad leaf.

Please, everybody, leave these caterpillars on their original leaf, no matter how bad it looks, at least until the caterpillar gets some size on it. I put a fresh, clean stem of the host plant in the hole in the left overs container next to the stem the original leaf is in, and the cat will eventually, on its own time, move over to the better leaf.

Larry, maybe you could put this information on the FYI site? Twice recently people have made this mistake - it might help to post it.

Here's what hatchling or very early instar cats look like on their 'string' -

{{gwi:473794}}

Sherry

Comments (8)

• Liz
    10 years ago

Thanks for repeating this info, Sherry. I have learned my lesson. I don't touch them now! I did trim the old leaf my Monarch cat was on, as you suggested, and laid the small leaf fragment on a new leaf. The 3 cats seem to be growing well. With the EBS, I just stuck a new parsley stem in the container and they can move over when they're ready. The parsley holds up a long time, anyway. I haven't had a chance to try any other butterly species yet, but less is more when it comes to messing with them.

Thank you for helping me out on this issue, and for your other terrific input.
    Liz

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Will add to FAQ in the next few days.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Hmmmm...
    Those "strings" remind me of Ruddy Daggerwings down in SoFla.

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

The Goatweed Leafwing also starts out with a frass string. And then as it gets bigger it makes a rolled leaf nest. These can be found on croton, here it's woolly croton.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Added the above info and image into the FAQ today.

New FAQ entries always appear at the bottom of the page, can't re-shuffle them.

Sherry, take a look to see if anything needs editing on the new FAQ topic.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

The Ruddy Daggerwing is my favorite cat. It looks like a tiny green dragon, with its horns, dorsal spines and long "tail". They can be found on Strangler Fig (Ficus aureus). I grew one in a large pot in So Fla and got regular visitors.
    The chrysalis looks like a big green mosquito.
    Quite a fascinating butterfly.

• bernergrrl
    10 years ago

Another idea to add to FAQ is that these guys at the end of the summer/early fall might make a hibernaculum, so a good idea to leave any tree limbs alone if there are leaves on there still.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It looks great, Larry!

You could add the information given by bernergrrl, leafhead and Sandy -

Rudy daggerwings and goatweed leafwings also make a frass 'string' that's used as a perch by hatchling and early instar caterpillars.
    When fall approaches, very young viceroy and red-spotted purple caterpillars make a hibernaculum, a very small, tight nest in their leaf. They spend the winter in it and come out in spring when the host plant makes new growth to eat the young leaves. From that point in spring, they finish their life cycle. Older caterpillars reportedly overwinter in the open.

I assume that white admirals also make a hibernaculum? If so, they should be added to that list.

Sherry

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus