Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindacatherine_gw

Propagating butterfly weed

lindacatherine
14 years ago

"Butterfly weed is easily propagated in water." according to Wikipedia (yeah, I know). Is it saying that this plant can have cuttings taken from it, placed in a vase of water, and it will sprout roots? Has this worked for anyone?

{{gwi:531216}}

Comments (11)

• butterflyman
    14 years ago

Doubtful, but I'll give it a try. I know Asclepias incarnata will not root like that, but Asclepias curassavica, tropical milkweed, will root in water.

• lindacatherine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm, I found a field of Asclepias curassavica that I've been watching to "pod over," so I can grab some seeds and plant in my butterfly garden. But if I can take a cutting or two....hmmmmm.

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

I agree about the currassavica. Almost every one of the cuttings I put in water take root, and I do them a lot. Then I just stick 'em in the ground, pot, whatever. They need regular water the first couple/few days but then they just go! Good luck.

• beaniebeagle
    14 years ago

good luck

i rooted some with aeroponics....took way to long

your better off with seeds

• emmayct
    14 years ago

Are you asking about a. tuberosa..the wild orange milkweed we get here in New England? I've never tried rooting it..Only grown it from seed. Once established itwill come back every year.

Maryann in CT

• lindacatherine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm, Asclepias curassavica, Asclepias incarnata, or a. tuberosa...they all look so similar. The one I'm talking about is the one I pictured in my original post. This picture was taken in a park of a coastal Massachusetts town near Cape Cod where I live.

• ericwi
    14 years ago

The photo above is Asclepias tuberosa, also known as "orange butterfly weed." I have grown this from seed. The seed has to be set out in damp soil, in the late winter, and subjected to repeated freeze/thaw cycles, before it will germinate. The pots sit from March until June, and eventually, some green shoots appear.

• bananasinohio
    14 years ago

A. curassavica - Tropical milkweed, bloodflower, mexican milkweed, etc. will not overwinter here

A. tuberosa - butterflyweed, orange flowers, likes dry scrubby roadside places. Difficult for some people to grow. Not a monarch favorite as it has very low leaf moisture. Great nectar plant.

A. incarnata - Swamp milkweed, pink flowers, ice ballet (white cultivar), typically likes wetter places.

A. syriaca - Common milkweed, pink to purple flowers, 2 - 6 feet tall roadside and field "weed", spreads aggressively by runners.

All have pods, curassavica seems to be the fastest for regenerative growth thus may root better with cuttings.

-Elisabeth

• lindacatherine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, so I have to watch when these go to pod and gather the seeds. I have common milkweeds in my garden already for monarch munchies. I really want a Lantana, but am in the wrong zone for it to stay outside year round, so I am thinking the butterfly weed is a close second.

• butterflymomok
    14 years ago

You can overwinter lantana if you do several things.

1) Don't trim the plant before winter.

2) Mulch heavily over the roots. I use several inches of leaves/straw.

3) After frost danger is past, cut back the old plant and pull back the mulch.

It may take a while for the plant to come up. But, I have done this for several years and kept a lot of my lantana plants alive. I'm in zone 6B/7A.

Sponsored