Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Commas and Question Marks

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 20:15

An old butterflying friend of mine in Ohio wanted to send me some question mark eggs or chrysalides, to help me restore the QMs that have practically disappeared since the hurricane. The cats he thought might be QMs turned out to be commas, which suits me fine. I've only seen a comma here once - I suppose it might have been a very small QM - but I'm in the range of commas.
The four chrysalides he sent me were SO little, they looked like miniature question marks. The butterflies emerged right away, and I got this picture of this little comma hanging on a Tupperware container. I cropped it, because the container looks bad, which makes it look much bigger than it was. Anyway, I thought I'd use this opportunity to compare commas and question marks, using some pictures I made several years ago of some QMs I raised.
Here's the comma -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
And here's the underside of a question mark, from a spring batch, I think -
And here's the underside of a fall QM -
It looks to me like the comma (butterfly) has a question mark (punctuation mark) on its underside, just like the QM. But the comma was MUCH smaller than the QMs, about half the size.
Maybe I'll get lucky and find comma eggs/cats on my false nettles, hops or elm trees.
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Commas and Question Marks

Thanks Sherry. I have been working on identifying these for surveys. Plus I want to obtain some for the house. They do really well in captivity vs. some of the other species. Besides size, I think one of the differences is that QMs have a distinct tail, whereas the commas have more of a bump?
-Elisabeth

o

Yes, QMs have a longer tail as opposed to the comma bump, Elisabeth, but it would be hard to see in the field. Size difference is the most noticeable difference.
Sherry

o

The QMs tend to have a purplish sheen; if seen, that's good evidence for QM, but absence is not determinative.

Jeff

o
Commas and QMs

...especially when half the time the QMs are missing the "." at the bottom of the crescent/comma. I've always thought the Commas were a bit more dull in coloration than QMs. My Oklahoma book distinguishes the Comma from the QM by the Comma's truncated forewing tips.. There is also a black subapical mark on the QM forewing upperside that the Comma apparently does not have.

Lovely photos Miss Sherry, as always.

Susan

o

Gaaaak, I didn't know they could be missing the "."! Oh boy! Yeeesh, and here I thought I was beginning to get a handle on some of the skippers....
-Elisabeth

o

I know; just when I think I've gained some insight! I think they do this simply to keep us humble, LOL!

o

Susan, my memory is also that the QM has a black mark that the Commas lack -- but when I looked at reference pics here:

http://www.insectsofiowa.com/butterflies/nymphalidae_nymphalinae.htm

some of the pics showed it and some did not, so I took that part out of the post above.

I'll keep looking.

Jeff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here