Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This Buckeye looks different

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 20:31

Is this a buckeye? The colors were different than the others I've been seeing.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This Buckeye looks different

I'm just a newbie but it looks like the buckeyes that I see here. I have noticed some look darker - maybe more recently eclosed? They love those orange cosmos!

o

Heat and cold can change the color or butterfly wings.

o

I do see some differences. The eyespots on my buckeye are more colorful, and the white stripes go farther around the eyespots. I assume these are just normal variations.

Tim
www.WildlifeTheater.com

o

Nice pictures.

Seasonal morphs are common in Precis (Junonia) coenia, as are species variations and intergrades. The early broods are usually the lighter linea morph and the later and darker brood the rosa morph. Ventral coloration is a more reliable key for which morph to place an individual in. In the southwest we also have nigrosuffusia which can be almost jet black dorsally in some individuals.

Seasonal variation is a product of both habitat temperture and humidity, and can affect size, color and markings. Generally warm/dry habitats (summer broods) produce smaller/lighter individuals and cool/wetter habitats (fall) larger/darker individuals. What an individual will be (color and markings) is set in the first few days after it pupates (then and only then), so either morph at any time of the season can usually be dupicated in the lab (as can aberrations and gynandromorphs).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here