Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

My GST is back and I think we have eggs!!!

Hi!! I discovered this forum by accident a couple of months ago, when I had a giant swallowtail caterpillar. I want to thank everyone who sent me kind emails of encouragement as my catapillar formed a chrysalis and then just a couple of weeks later hatched. That was so exciting and a new experience for this gal in her mid 50s! It's the simple things in life, isn't it!

This afternoon I was getting ready to water the backyard and I saw two giant swallowtail's dancing around the orange tree. One seem to linger on a couple of leaves for a while. And then they flew off. I saw them hanging in a pine tree behind my yard, seemingly at rest.

Since I don't use chemicals in the backyard, I was going outback to clip off the leaves that were damaged by leaf miners. Something told me to check every set of leaves I was clipping off since I had seen the butterflies. Well I did, but I didn't find anything except damage from leaf miners!

I was cutting some of the pieces into smaller pieces to throw away, and something caught my eye. There on the top of a healthy leaf on the tree was a little tiny orange dot. I looked closer and found several more leaves with a little orange eggs. One of them isn't orange... It's kind of white.

Are my eyes fooling me!!!?? I think my GSTs returned and I now have a nursery! Any advice is welcome!! I am pretty excited! I'll look on the web for info, but I do appreciate first-hand accounts!

Thanks in advance,
Kristi

Comments (11)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I'm shocked! This morning I have 5 little instars!! In fact, I'm sure most of you saw the newly hatched giant swallowtail in the photo on the bottom leaf to the far right. I had no idea what that was last night, and just thought it was debris next to the egg!

Now it's just my job to keep them supplied with fresh leaves! I read I should cut the leaves up for the little instars... Should I? Recall, the only experience I have had was with a large instar that would eat 2-3 leaves/day.

Thanks,
    Kristi

• terrene
    9 years ago

Congrats! They are beautiful butterflies. I have only raised one GST, using rue. Not sure if you should cut up the leaves, but I never have cut up larval food. It probably stays fresher if it's intact.

Original Author
    9 years ago

They are eating around the edges of the leaves. They are surprisingly efficient! LITTLE EATING MACHINES.
    K

• Beth Willett
    9 years ago

Wow! I was so excited to have THREE eggs!!! Look at that!!! Soooo, either they are going to gobble up your tree or you are raising lots of Swallowtails! What are you going to do? I just brought 2 little instars inside to raise - You aren't the only one in her 50's trying it for the first time! Yes its the little things....

Original Author
    9 years ago

I brought these in. Any others can stay outside. I admit I'm now looking for eggs everywhere. Nothing on my milkweed ðÂÂÂ.
    K

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Congratulations. You've hit the jackpot. Most of us have Giant Swallowtails on our bucket lists. You stumbled onto them almost accidentally. Enjoy the process. They are fascinating cats. Good luck.

Martha

Original Author
    9 years ago

I promise to do my best with them. Following them at least once from a egg to mature butterfly is my goal. I will try and take photos. In the future, likely they'll stay outside as I'm sure they do just great out there. Sometimes I feel the need to intervene, but I know it's not always best for nature.
    K

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Actually, butterfly eggs rarely survive to adulthood, because there are so many predators that enjoy eggs and caterpillars as a meal. So, by bringing them indoors to raise you are increasing their chance of survival considerably. Just make sure you put fresh leaves in at least daily and clean out the frass (poop) when it accumulates. Enjoy, and share your experience with as many people as you can, so they will want to garden for the butterflies, too.

Martha

• beebeeann
    9 years ago

Congratulations! They're beautiful :) I always rear our cats in mesh cages on rue, it's the only way they make it in our yard. I left them out there on their own several times and even when they make it to chrysalises, they're eaten right up. It always breaks my heart to see such a good start, all gone by the end. I cut the lime leaves when there are eggs about to hatch and put them at the bottom of the rue planter in the mesh cage. I have a plate on the bottom of the cage for easy cleanup and they stay in the cage safely until they emerge. I tell everyone I know with citrus trees about them and I've found myself starting conversations at Home Depot or Lowe's when I see someone buying a citrus plant, just so they know that those not-so-pretty cats turn into huge, beautiful butterflies. I have yet to meet someone who already knew about them! Good luck and congrats again!

• woollybear69
    9 years ago

A very nice picture.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years