Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Butterflies from my trip

butterflymomok
12 years ago

I have begun to post my photos from my trip on pbase. So far I have mostly Coppers and Blues. I still have quite a few I haven't identified. As I work through the images, I will add them to the gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandy's Butterflies from the Yellowstone area

Comments (9)

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

Wow! Beautiful Sandy! How did you manage to ID all of those? The Blue Copper is gorgeous. Glad you enjoyed yourself. I am very jealous.
    -Elisabeth

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful, Sandy - thanks for posting!

I especially love the Mormon fritillary!

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Elisabeth and Sherry. I have just tried to match up the photos as best possible with my Kaufman Field guide. If I get stuck, Larry will help me out, but I'm trying to do it myself as much as possible.

Elisabeth, I am going to be in Ohio sometime in September--probably the latter part to visit a lifetime friend. I would love to see the butterfly house where you work if it's possible. Could you email me with information? My email is butterflymomok at y_hoo dot com. I will be driving from Chicago to Chagrin Falls. I haven't planned my return trip, so I'm open to routes. I'd kind of like to go down to Indiana/KY border to see Wayne and Judy's garden.

Sandy

• terryr
    12 years ago

Wow! So beautiful!

• ladobe
    12 years ago

Great pictures Sandy. Shows what comes from getting involved in the butterfly counts and learning how to pick up on things to help with identifications. Have no idea about the Kaufman book, have never seen one, but as a field guide I assume it only goes to species level.

There are other ssp for some of these sp on the BTP also, but I just went with my first inpression for tonight. C. haydenii and H. juba do not have ssp. Anyway, here's some taxonomy to subspecies level for those that do. You might want to research these and see if you concur (and I'll try to spend more time on them sometime this weekend to see if I still do after a closer look).

Have fun... that's how you learn.

Larry

Coenonympha haydenii, Colias alexandra astraea, Lycaena heteronea klotsi, Lycaena mariposa penroseae.

Lycaena dorcas florus, Lycaena editha montana.

Plebejus m. melissa, Plebejus s. saepiolus, Hesperia juba.

Speyeria mormonia eurynome, Pieris (Pontia) p. protodice.

• imabirdnut
    12 years ago

Sandy, amazing BFs & your pictures are gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing them with us!

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lila and Larry.

Larry, the Kaufman field guide only goes to species level. It was written by Jim Brock for Kaufman. It's the book we use for identification when on counts.

• bob_71
    12 years ago

Exceptional photos! Glad you had a good trip!

Bob

• bandjzmom
    12 years ago

Cool pics Sandy! I loved the Mormon Frit the most. Thanks for sharing!~~Angie