Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning buddleia

Posted by blooming_in_zone5 5-6 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 20:48

I've heard one should prune butterfly bush in early spring, but mine really needs a good trimming. It's sprawled out so far I'm afraid it will break apart over winter. If I remove some branches and trim off some smaller bits, will it bloom next spring/summer?
Either way, I'm nervous about it. :o/
~JoAnn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning buddleia

I've read several postings with good info on this website. You may want to search for them. I have pruned in Spring and Fall with success. Good luck!

o

Thanks, Starr. :)
I don't have much luck with the search engine here, but I'll try again.

o

I'm in the same predicament. Planted the butterfly bush this spring and it's sprawling out in all directions and a few sprigs are growing straight up. From what I've read, pruning should be done late winter or early spring. I think I'll wait it out. Here is an awesome link that will answer your questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Buddleia

o

This is my first year with these plants but I can tell you they do bloom on new growth so you wouldn't be removing next years blooms if you trimmed it now. I even have a 'White Profusion' that I started from a tiny cutting this summer that is blooming it's head off in a 6 inch flowerpot right now so they're pretty tough plants. Mine are rather untidy looking, too, something I wouldn't usually stand for but since I'm growing them for the butterfilies and hummers, I try to overlook that behavior. :-)

I see you are in a different zone and that may make a difference in when you prune.

Mary

o

Thanks for a terrific link, Linda.
I want David Epstein to be my gardener. What a sweetie. :)
I'm still thinking I should prune now, at least the longer branches, because otherwise I'm afraid they will break the plant right in half.
I didn't know Buddleia were an invasive in some areas! They are precious here in upstate NY. I planted 3 more in the backyard last summer. One didn't do well, and I mourned. I also recently bought 3 more (ebay!) and am planning to get those planted this weekend.
Maybe next year we'll see more butterflies.

o

• Posted by rkerner Z-6 New Jersey (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 17:15

It's interesting that it's mentioned in the video that they're invasive in places like California.

I live in central New Jersey and have found a couple of baby butterfly bushes popping up in my garden! I have one that I divided several times and replanted throughout my yard and my neighbor has a few, so maybe with all those others around I was bound to see some popping up where I didn't plant them. So far, they're not invasive, but I could see how that might happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here