Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safe Sanitizing Solutions

Posted by garnet69 6A S.Ont (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 20:54

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a spray solution that is safe enough to use in my cat enclosure. I have seen the one that Live Monarch sells and I'm not willing to spend that much. I rinse away the frass and work it into the soil but I would like to use something to spray down the frame of my enclosure periodically. I thought about using a vinegar/water solution but am not sure if it is safe to use on the cats.

I have an enclosure outdoors that contains cats that are 3rd instar or higher set into my garden. I also have indoor enclosures but these I am able to change and clean everyday.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Garnet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safe Sanitizing Solutions

Define safe. Do you want something to use while you have plants or caterpillars in there? Typically a bleach solution is going to be one of the few things that will work and is inexpensive enough. Obviously you can't use that while you have caterpillars or plants in there. If you remove both and use the bleach solution (let it stand for ten minute) then rinse well it should be fine. Bleach also loses its potency over time in sunlight.

Just as a note, wood is not the best material to use for cages for this very reason. It is very difficult to clean when concerned with disease.

-Elisabeth

o
RE: Safe Sanitizing Solutions

Safe as in safe to use on plants and caterpillars, the same as they sell on Live Monarch.

In any event, I removed the enclosure from the garden, moved the cats to a large container temporarily while I scrubbed the frame with a bleach/water solution, rinsed it down and let it dry in the sun. I have also lined the bottom with sand and then newspaper so that I can change this daily.

Thanks for the suggestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here