Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniekru

Breeding Black Eastern Swallowtail

Connie Kru
10 years ago

Anyone breed B. E. Swallowtail?
I have about 6 that will eclose this week and I am thinking of putting them in a large tent, where I have put Monarchs before and they did well, was wondering if there is any hints for doing the same for the B.E. Swallowtail and how long it might be before they breed.
thanks
Connie

Comments (12)

• Tom
    10 years ago

Not sure it's very healthy to be breeding from eggs that come from the same parents, Connie, but i"m not sure about this. I think I remember others in this forum were chasing them around with butterfly nets to breed.

• BERGER123
    10 years ago

Hi I am one of those people running around with a net:)
    If I were you I would try to catch a black swallowtails. I have been breeding them for 3 years. Best host plant for breeding black,swallowtails is parsley. How big is your tent? Make sure the males can puddle. Give the males three days before they can mate. What nectar plant will you have in the tent?

• Connie Kru
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The swallowtails have been absent from my area. A friend gave me eggs that she collected from her yard.
    I will try to breed them in a 10x10 canopy tent. I have done Monarchs in this and it works for them.
    I have lots of parsley, carrots in pots and have lots of Queen Annes Lace that I can put in jars of water.
    So far all I have are females, so I am hoping for a couple of Males. Do the breeding pair stay together over night like Monarchs??

• BERGER123
    10 years ago

Depends if they start to mate after 5 pm they most likely they stay together over night. If they start mating after 6 am or earlier they'll be all day and stop before It gats dark. Did your friend get all the eggs the same day? If so you can not breed them because you would be inbreeding.

• Connie Kru
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No she gathered them over a 6 day period, but so far they are all female. One more to go.

• BERGER123
    10 years ago

Then if you gat a male you can hand pair. If you need help go to www.raisingbutterflies.org.

• Connie Kru
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally got a male, so I kept 2 females and we will see if they mate on their own.
    To hand pair, how many days would you wait to attempt this.
    Females emerged yesterday and male today.

• Connie Kru
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally got a male, so I kept 2 females and we will see if they mate on their own.
    To hand pair, how many days would you wait to attempt this.
    Females emerged yesterday and male today.

• BERGER123
    10 years ago

What for three days with the males. Make sure the male can puddle. Put some sand on a plate wet it and put him on it he may not puddle so if he does not puddle he can't mate. I had problems with is last year. So be carful. If you have any problems you can send me an email Jacob@sormproexteriors.com.

• BERGER123
    10 years ago

What for three days with the males. Make sure the male can puddle. Put some sand on a plate wet it and put him on it he may not puddle so if he does not puddle he can't mate. I had problems with is last year. So be carful. If you have any problems you can send me an email Jacob@sormproexteriors.com.

• Connie Kru
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I turned them loose today. No mating and hand pairing was not successful.
    The females did lay a few eggs, but not many. I do not think they are fertile but I will give them a few days and see if they hatch.
    Thanks for the help Berger123.
    Connie

• BERGER123
    10 years ago

Sure, the are infertile they can be quit challengeing the first year. My tiger swallowtails and black swallowtails have been gone for two years but their back so I would not give up hope to get eggs. or you can do what I do go to the neighbours and take their cats:) so hope you get some:).