Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

butterfly magnet

organic_kitten
13 years ago

My neighbor collected the seeds and just sowed them. I am sure this is one of the reasons I have had so many butterflies this year:

{{gwi:532188}}

{{gwi:532190}}

kay

Comments (10)

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

That is just UNREAL! WOWZA! Such an impressive display. I think that each of us would adore having this in our yards! Thanks for sharing!

• runmede
    13 years ago

She must have a brown thumb. Green thumbs are not real, if you are a good gardener your thumbs are always brown from working in the dirt.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are just zinnias that she collected the seed from, and then scattered on the ground. the ground was a bit sandy, and had had composted sawdust put on it 3 years earlier. She didn't fertilize it or anything except water regularly.

The butterflies fly freely between this bed and mine (which also has a lot of zinnias and several butterfly bushes). I intend to plant a swath with saved seeds this next year.
    kay

• jeanner
    13 years ago

Beautiful! No wonder zinnias are so popular, everybody loves them (butterflies, hummingbirds, humans, birds!)

• gardenfanatic2003
    13 years ago

I'm green with envy! Zinnias I've had in the past always looked like crap.

Deanna

• caterwallin
    13 years ago

Very pretty zinnias! I planted two rows of them this year, but only 3 plants came up. I don't know if it was because of the dry weather we've had or if the seeds weren't good. I think that was before it started being so dry here though. So the bed sits mostly empty except for darn crabgrass starting to grow it in. I guess I'll have to cover most of the bed up until next year. The butterflies do love zinnias! The most popular flowers in my garden every year are those, purple coneflowers, Verbena bonariensis, tithonia, and butterfly bush. It is a great butterfly year!
    Cathy

• Julia WV (6b)
    13 years ago

Love the pic Kay. I've planted zinnias too this year but started the seeds indoors and then planted them out in May. I have them near the coneflowers and butterfly bush so the butterflies always have enough to feast on. ;-).

Julia

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Kay, what a gorgeous display! I'd be frolicking in the Zinnias, too, if I had that in my yard!

Sometimes I think the seed packets I get at the big box stores may only produce one flower for every 20 or so seeds. I've got to remember to buy about 50 packets next year, and maybe I can get a good stand.

I may have brown thumbs, but I am all over green with envy....but in a good way!

Now, let's see some photos of those butterflies on the Zinnias, Kay! LOL!

Susan

• lindacatherine
    13 years ago

Wow absolutely gorgeous!! I rescued a couple of zinnias from Lowes for 50-cents each...I always go to the 1/2 dead section and score some really awesome deals, bring them home, give them some water and a new place to live in the garden :)

• mamasllamas
    13 years ago

sent you an email holly

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville