Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatoworm59

Making finicky caterpillars eat

tomatoworm59
12 years ago

I had rescued a number of tobacco hornworms recently, from some old, played-out tomato plants. in all, I ended up with 18, but two got sick and died. 7 finished in due time and went into the dirt, but despite giving them fresh pepper and other solanaceous plants, they refused to feed. Good grief!

I took the remainder outside and placed strategically on my growing tomatoes and peppers. The 5 on the young tomato plants, just had to be switched to a different plant every 2 days, but when I brought them inside [they're almost ready], they again refused even cut tomato leaves in water to keep fresh! I finally took one large pillow cover [the kind with a zipper] and rounded up all 8 of my remaining hornworms. Some had just ran off. I placed them on a single, dense pepper plant, slipped over the pillow cover and zipped up all the way to the stem to secure it.

Okay....those cats have NO choice but to eat pepper leaves or go hungry. They chose the former. Three of them are now ready for the dirt. The rest will follow within 3 days.

the bag still lets in some light, breathes well, but best of all, protects cats from the tiniest of parasitic wasps as well as birds and predatory insects.

Comments (6)

Sponsored