Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hagar3

First Giant Swallowtail Ever

hagar3
11 years ago

We were out by the pool this afternoon and saw this big black butterfly flying back and forth through the deck. I could see the distinct black triangle across the upper side of its wings and the yellow on the underside. I have been seeing butterflies for many years and I never remember seeing one before.

Comments (8)

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    11 years ago

Always exciting when some lep you have never seen before, but wanted to see, drops in for a visit.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Congrats on seeing this beautiful butterfly!

I've had 2 Giant Swallowtail sightings in my garden in the past couple weeks (maybe it was the same one). This is especially exciting because they are very rare in Mass., but it seems that we are experiencing a "flight year" because there have been scattered sightings throughout the state!

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

hagar3, Congratulations!!! What part of the country are you in?
    They are one of my most favorite BFs & they have been very scarce here in North Texas this year! I have just been seeing a few a week just recently...they had been one of the most frequent sightings in my yard in previous years!
    Take care,
    Lila

• Rhonda
    11 years ago

Congrats Hagar! I had a couple hanging around my bottle brush this weekend. The past few days, the butterflies seem to have been more active, I also had a pipevine swallowtail but it didn't stick around long enough for me to run in and get my camera. I am going to post a few pics of one of the giants. They certainly don't keep their wings in one place very long. I shot at 1/1250 of a second and still had trouble getting sharp pics :)

• Rhonda
    11 years ago

another pic.

• Rhonda
    11 years ago

Last one...I took about 200 pics so I could go on forever :)

• hagar3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rivrd01, Thanks for responding especially with those beautiful pictures. I had my camera but could not get it to slow down for a picture even though it made several passes.

Imabirdnut, thanks for uour response. I'm from Central GA, just South of Macon. You must be from really far North Texas in zone 7b. I have driven from Dallas through Wichita Falls several times. I always enjoyed the trip. From your nickname you seem to belike me. I like the Butterflies, Hummingbirds, and the other variety of birds. I always try to provide something for all of them.

• Rhonda
    11 years ago

You're very welcome Hagar and thanks for the compliments :) For such a large butterfly, they sure are fast....good luck with the camera next time he comes around.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus