Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A beautiful visitor

Posted by butterflymomok (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 21:28

This evening I went out to set up the sprinkler and found this beauty nectaring on the buddleia. She was so comfortable with my presence that I was able to get really close. This is the second time I've been able to get a dorsal shot of this butterfly. The first time, I was at a distance. It would be more than I could hope for her to leave me some eggs on the violets I planted just for her.

Photobucket
Female Speyeria diana

I guess butterflies don't mind 110 degree days. She loved the moisture, and didn't mind the spray from the sprinkler.

Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A beautiful visitor

That is absolutely beautiful! Thanks.

o

Oh my goodness, Sandy, how wonderful!
If you got eggs, that would be wonderful, but I've read they have a strange way of reproducing - the EGGS overwinter, or something like that.
Anyway, I imagine you've studied up on it. To have diana cats next year would be the bomb!
Sherry

o

beautiful!

o

Dianas lay their eggs on twigs and leaf litter on the ground around violets. The eggs hatch and the tiny caterpillars go underground to emerge in the spring. It's about the right time for egg-laying. There is only one generation per year, so these butterflies must have longer life expectancies than other species. This is the first time I've seen a female in my garden in the late summer. I see quite a few of them over at the Cherokee WMA in early September. They love to nectar on the thistles on the fringes of the woods.

Photobucket

Sandy

o

She is indeed beautiful. I hope she left you some eggs.
:-)

~Laura

o

She's back again this evening, nectaring on all of the butterfly bushes. Still hoping for eggs. Also saw a Red Spotted Purple and a Viceroy on the Buddleia. This was all after seven.

Sandy

o

Woohoo!
Eggs are possible!
Sherry

o

Sandy, are you having any trouble keeping your Buddleia from dying in this heat? I have three different varieties (don't know the names of them but one is purple with small clusters of flowers, and two are light pink.) The purple one is seriously struggling. I've watered and watered but it's just shriveling up and getting crispy. And one of the pink ones is struggling too. :-(

~Laura

o

Oh gosh, I just *Love* the coloring on this one Sandy, Thank you for sharing! :)

~Tina Marie

o

Laura,
The buddleaias are suffering. Blooms are smaller than normal and drying up quickly. Leaves are looking cooked. I am hoping to get all the old blooms deheaded with hopes of fresh blooms coming on stronger. I am watering daily--just the garden plants and trees. It's important to keep them alive, no matter how bad they get to looking.

Sandy

o

My butterfly bushes are seriously being attacked by the Mamorated Stink Bug. They are sucking the life out of them.

Todd Stout has some great info on breeding, raising, and wintering over many species of butterflies. I've posted the his website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raising Butterflies by Todd Stout

o

Great pictures of a beautiful butterfly.

Bob

o

Thank you, Bob.

o

O M GEE! She is beautiful!

o

Wonderful! Thanks, Sandy.

Jeff

o

You're very welcome, Jeff. She's back again this evening! She's not nectaring but taking in moisture from the soil where I watered today. She's hiding under some plants. I actually "flushed her out" when I was walking around the garden to check on what was out. But she flew back down. I haven't seen any egg-laying behaviors, but I'm so stoked that she is staying around!!

Sandy

o

That's fantastic, Sandy!
I'm so glad you're keeping your garden watered, no matter what. That's probably why she's staying at your place - she can get shade and moisture. In the process, she may lay you some eggs.
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here