Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BTP Revisited

Posted by ladobe 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 21:49

Well, if Sandy is following her scheduled plan, tonight will be her last up on the Plateau before going down to spend the last two nights on the shores of Jackson Lake.

I'm sure she will have taken a lot of pictures on the trip that we eagerly await... maybe a few general ones will tide us over until she's back.

The Lamar Valley they passed through on their way to leave Yellowstone for the BTP, a lep heaven in its own right.

Typical riparian habitat along Highway 212 they traveled through starting around 6,000'.

The Top of the World Store where they planned to stay on the Plateau. 9,400'

Transitional zone alpine habitat near upper tree line. About 9,500'.

Transitional arctic habitat about 10,000'

Arctic habitat above 10,000'.

Typical view from West Summit across Rock Canyon. 11,011'

Arctic tundra habitat found on much of the plateau, and one of the habvitats where dozens of sp/ssp of leps fly in massive numbers. 10,000' plus.

One of the leps I told Sandy how to find at West Summit. Euphydryas editha hutchinsi “atitudinal form” montanus is the smallest of the genus. Male-female, dorsal and ventral.

One I doubt Sandy will be able to hike for is the rarest, Boloria eunomia ursadentis. Male top, female bottom, dorsal and ventral.

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BTP Revisited

What a wonderful trip she must be experiencing. Thank you for sharing your photos and descriptions of this beautiful part of our nation.

~Mary

o

ooh, ah, ooh, ah! What lovely photos. Makes me feel a bit cooler here in our 105 degree temps just looking at them, Larry! I particularly like the transitional arctic habitat photos. I could just take a pillow and light blanket and lay down there to take it all in! Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Can't wait to see and read about Sandy's adventure!

Susan

o

Wow, wow, wow...I want to travel now.
-Elisabeth

o

Great pictures and interesting information, Larry!
I hope Sandy sees plenty of leps while she's there - they are certainly different from the eastern species we're familiar with!
Sherry

o

Well, I'm back! It was the Butterfly trip nightmare. I did get some photos. We spent one night on the plateau and my SIL declared she couldn't stay there one more day. Caused quite a stir with the owner! I sneaked in and apologized to him later. Now I know why this was the second trip we've taken together in 30 years! I'll post some photos, but just know, this trip didn't go at all the way I had planned it. The trip was completely taken out of my control after the third day.

Sandy

o

Sandy,
So sorry on the outcome, for promoting it and for the time and effort we both put into what sounds like was doomed from the start. Lessons learned a long time ago reaffirmed for both of us. You're back safely, so just replax and get back into your regular routine. Don't worry about the email I sent yesterday, my course is confirmed.
Larry

o

'So sorry, Sandy!
We're looking forward to seeing the pictures that you got.
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here