Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm loving my red zinnias - - - Gulf Frit

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 22:10

I wasn't sure my red zinnias (Scarlet Flame I think) would attract butterflies because the package said "double" but I've been seeing swallowtails on them frequently and saw a Gulf Frit a few days ago which is a real treat for me. I've only seen a GF in my yard one other time. Can anyone tell if this is a male or female?

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was on my riding mower when I saw it and had to stop and run in to get my camera.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm loving my red zinnias - - - Gulf Frit

Pretty pretty, both flower and fritty!!

o

My goodness, those zinnias are absolutely breathtaking! You grew these from seed? And you bought the seed where? WOW. I want somma those!! I am guessing that your Gulf Frit is a female. I found this nice comparison on the net.
http://www.hartmanprehistoricgarden.com/sa-agraulis.html

o

I bought them because I wanted to try planting a big patch of a single color instead of assorted colors. I checked a few places locally and Scarlet Flame was the only one I could find that wasn't mixed. It was getting late to plant seeds so I didn't want to order them. I can't remember where I ended up buying them, maybe Lowe's.
I sowed the seeds directly on June 18th and had flowers by July 24th (36 days).

I'm sure there are lots of zinnias that butterflies like but I'm starting to learn that it helps to plant a big patch to get their attention rather than just a few.

I saw a Gulf Frit again today and there were several swallowtails (Black and Spicebush I think). I spent some time this afternoon trying to get a good picture and will post it when I get it on the computer.

o

Beautiful pictures. I have never seen a Gulf Frit here. I think I saw a Red Spotted Purple Swallowtail on the ripe banana yesterday.

o

Beautiful pictures. I love the frit and the zinnias.
kay

o

The zinnias are a beautiful color, Christie, and I think the gulf frit is a male - females are tawnier.
Congrats on the gulf frit!
Sherry

o

I was afraid of that Sherry. I'd be pretty excited to find GF cats on my p. incarnata. I couldn't get a good photo of the one I saw yesterday so I switched my camera and took a short video. This one wasn't as bright so maybe it's a female. Not sure this will work:

Photobucket

Here's a photo showing the swallowtails:
Photobucket

o

The butterflies are loving those red zinnias!

o

Christie, what gorgeous flowers, photos, and butterflies! You captured it all, didn't you? :) Love those Zinnias. Mine never look quite that good. I have some cream colored ones, and some candy-striped red/white singles I found this year, and I'm mostly letting them go to seed so I will have TONS for next year.

MissSherry, I didn't know you could tell the gender by color on the GFs. I always thought the females were a lot bigger than the males, so it was a size thing. Nice to know and I will keep an eye out for that identifier.

Susan

o

Yes, the males are much brighter orange when they first emerge than females when they first emerge. The problem is that when you see an older, tattered gulf frit, it may look tawny, but then that could be because it's faded with age.
I think I got two good pictures of newly emerged adults several years ago - I'll check.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Yep, those are the pictures - male GFs are almost red when newly emerged, like in the picture, and you can see how much tawnier orange the female is. These were a pair that I raised that emerged on the same day, as I recall. Actually, from a distance, new males look true red. And, like you say, Susan, the females are a little bigger, but then a big individual male might be as big as a female, and a small female might be the size of a male, so it's hard to tell.
Anyway, Christie, if you find one laying eggs on your maypops, it's a female! :)
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here