Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Gorgone Checkerspots Life Cycle

butterflymomok
10 years ago

I have raised two broods of Gorgone CS in the garden this summer. They have devoured the leaves of the coneflowers, sunflowers, and rudbeckias. Here is a link to the photos I took. This morning, the last three eclosed and were released. The link will take you to the first of four photos documenting from caterpillar to adult.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Gorgone Checkerspots

Comments (7)

• BERGER123
    10 years ago

Cool I never seen a gorgone checkerspot.

• Liz
    10 years ago

Your photos are SOO beautiful! And I am in awe at your butterfly raising skills!

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Dr. Liz! Been lots of trial and error over about 32 years.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Awesome portfolio of butterflies!! I esp miss the Cloudless Sulfurs and Queens of South Florida...

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

Sandy - these are the ones I've been raising - none have eclosed yet so I'm not sure what I have exactly - but this one does resemble your Gorgone Checkerspot caterpillars, don't ya think?

~Laura

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

How fantastic!

I love crescents and checkerspots, and we only get the pearl crescents - they've been scarce this year, unfortunately. I can imagine that raising these was messy, but so worth it!

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Laura, that's the same! Sherry, I tried to raise a bunch of them and turned them loose as they were extremely messy, the leaves turned crisp quickly, and they were dying off. So I just brought in three that looked close to pupating, and kept them in a fairly airtight container with a couple of leaves. Still had to change out leaves frequently as they don't eat the leaves, they eat the top layer and essentially skeletonize the leaves, so they dry up quickly.

On FB, a guy posted from Arkansas City, KS that they found 28 of the butterflies on their count, and a butterfly friend from TX has found the caterpillars also. So, as Larry would say, we've had an irruption of Chlosyne gorgone in South Central US this summer. It has been 5 or 6 years since I last saw these in the garden. I truly believe, from observations, that there are peaks and wanes in specific butterfly populations. We are seeing a low in the Monarch population--hopefully it will correct itself. The East Coast has had a large population of Eastern Tiger Swallowtails this year. I have had Red Admirals all summer long which has never happened before. But, there are lots of species that are missing that normally make an appearance. We will see if they are just late or truly missing.

Sandy

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996