Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My final two Monarchs emerged and are off.

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 22:34

I had noticed some blotchy color change in the chrysalides, and they were lagging behind all the others. So, I assumed they were duds and hung them outside so they could be someone else's lunch. Well, three days later I found beautifull butterflies hanging from those chrysalides drying their wings. Yeah!

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My final two Monarchs emerged and are off.

Congrats! Just curious, what generally eats them that you want around your house?

o

Birds, raccoons. I didn't really think about who might eat them. I just know that when things die in nature, the natural "garbage collectors" do their job. Most likely smaller invertebrates and microbes. Critters I generally don't notice, but know they play a crucial role in the balance of nature.

Martha

o

Congratulations! What a nice surprise. Do you know if these monarchs will lay eggs, and the next generation will migrate, or will these migrate? It seems late for another generation, but a little early for these to migrate. But I know so little about all this.

I let my first one go early yesterday evening (it eclosed while I was at work), and have two more that eclosed this morning. Another one should eclose any time now. So far, all females, I think.

o

Congrats on a job well done :) YAY!!

o

• Posted by cghpnd 7 / N.Virginia (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 12:49

wow, that is so cool! for me its bitter sweet to wacth them leave.
I have one chrysalis (the one that was bit by another cat) that has not emerged yet. I was thinking of doing the same thing but i feel so bad for even thinking of that. LOL
Maybe Ill just go ahead and do it and stop being a wuss hehe

o

Congrats to you Martha! Yay indeed! Every little bit counts.
Angie :o)

o

Absolutely.

o

Ruth,
I don't know for sure whether these Monarchs could lay eggs yet this season or not. I do know that I've raised Monarchs that didn't eclose until late September or even early October. Who knows whether those had time to make it all the way to Mexico? Nature often seems wasteful, but I think almost all creatures try to stretch the ends of each season in order to take advantage of the variability that occurs from year to year. Just as the first Robin arrives when the ground is still frozen, the last Monarch leaves for Mexico far later than seems safe. But, they may have gotten an entire extra generation in? Who knows?

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here