Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

My final two Monarchs emerged and are off.

docmom_gw
10 years ago

I had noticed some blotchy color change in the chrysalides, and they were lagging behind all the others. So, I assumed they were duds and hung them outside so they could be someone else's lunch. Well, three days later I found beautifull butterflies hanging from those chrysalides drying their wings. Yeah!

Martha

Comments (8)

• Phildeez
    10 years ago

Congrats! Just curious, what generally eats them that you want around your house?

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Birds, raccoons. I didn't really think about who might eat them. I just know that when things die in nature, the natural "garbage collectors" do their job. Most likely smaller invertebrates and microbes. Critters I generally don't notice, but know they play a crucial role in the balance of nature.

Martha

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

Congratulations! What a nice surprise. Do you know if these monarchs will lay eggs, and the next generation will migrate, or will these migrate? It seems late for another generation, but a little early for these to migrate. But I know so little about all this.

I let my first one go early yesterday evening (it eclosed while I was at work), and have two more that eclosed this morning. Another one should eclose any time now. So far, all females, I think.

• NaturesFolly
    10 years ago

Congrats on a job well done :) YAY!!

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

wow, that is so cool! for me its bitter sweet to wacth them leave.
    I have one chrysalis (the one that was bit by another cat) that has not emerged yet. I was thinking of doing the same thing but i feel so bad for even thinking of that. LOL
    Maybe Ill just go ahead and do it and stop being a wuss hehe

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Congrats to you Martha! Yay indeed! Every little bit counts.
    Angie :o)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Absolutely.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ruth,
    I don't know for sure whether these Monarchs could lay eggs yet this season or not. I do know that I've raised Monarchs that didn't eclose until late September or even early October. Who knows whether those had time to make it all the way to Mexico? Nature often seems wasteful, but I think almost all creatures try to stretch the ends of each season in order to take advantage of the variability that occurs from year to year. Just as the first Robin arrives when the ground is still frozen, the last Monarch leaves for Mexico far later than seems safe. But, they may have gotten an entire extra generation in? Who knows?

Martha

Sponsored