Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GROSS! Cats eating chrysalis

Posted by fighting8r 10 Fort Myers Florid (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 11 at 22:35

Ugh. Came across two small-ish orange-barred sulphurs eating what had been a healthy chrysalis. Disgusting. The plant they were on had mostly dead leaves, I guess the heat and a string of dry days got to it, so they went cannibal. Looks really gross. I put them on some fresh leaves. Never seen this before.

Although now that I think of it one time I could've sworn an orange-barred sulphur cat was nibbling on a vacant chrysalis, but he froze up when he knew I was there and I never really verified it. But these guys were just chowing on it. EEEEWWWWWW.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GROSS! Cats eating chrysalis

Wow, it sounds like those poor cats must have been desperate and starving, or do you think that is part of their regular food? They were lucky to have some human assistance to get fresh leaves!

o

Well, I have always said that caterpillars are basically walking plants. They incorporate a lot of the chemicals of the plant in themselves. This probably helps fool predators. Unfortunately it also means that they smell like a leaf to each other. But you are right...EEEWWWW!
-Elisabeth

o

They gotta do what they gotta do... But it still turns my stomach. It was very disgusting to find.

o

You better close your eyes, then, if you happen to spot a grown caterpillar in the vicinity of eggs and/or hatchlings! Not uncommon, especially if the food supply is low.

o

No the eggs and hatchlings are not nearly so gross as them digging into a fresh, gooey, chrysalis. (Although I dont particularly like that either!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here