Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A second Diana Fritillary!

Posted by butterflymomok (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 23:27

As I was looking at the photos I took tonight, I noticed that the wear patterns on the Diana were different than the photos I had from Monday. So, there is a second female in the garden.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I've included both photos so you can see the differences. Last night, I photographed both butterflies. I just thought the butterfly was getting from one side of the garden to the other really quickly!

I wonder if this increases my chances of getting eggs? : ) It would probably be better if a male was hanging around.

Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A second Diana Fritillary!

That's beyond great, Sandy! The butterfly in the top picture is fresher, doesn't have the tatter on the left wing that the individual in the lower picture does.
I guess these two females were as big as usual, as big as tiger swallowtails?
I love the baby blue coloring of the females, spring azure blue, just a MUCH bigger butterfly.
Congratulations, and I sure hope you find little cats in a few weeks!
Sherry

o

Chances are she is already mated. Most females mate within 24 hours of emerging and then continue reproductive diapause until late summer. So, it is possible these females may lay eggs without the presence of a male.
Here's hoping!
Elisabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Reproductive diapause in Fritillaries

o

Thanks for the info, Elisabeth. I had forgotten about the diapause in Fritillaries. I never see the Diana males and females at the same time of the year, so that makes sense.

Normally Dianas do not come this far west, but we've had a couple of new county records this year--one in the county west of mine, and in central Oklahoma, which is quite a ways from their normal habitat.

Sherry, yes, these are very large. They are the largest butterfly in my garden at present. The ETSs have been absent lately. I don't know if there will be another generation around later. I need to read up on life histories. But, this is not a normal butterfly year with all the heat. I haven't had my Monarch colony this year, which I normally have from mid summer through migration. And the Sulphurs are few and far between. Even the skippers are down in numbers. But, I won't complain when I can enjoy the beauty of the Dianas.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here