Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GF egg?

Posted by river_crossroads 8b Central Louisiana (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 1:16

Hi all,

I was excited to see a definite raised dot on a lemon basil plant but it started to rain before I could get a good picture. Not too far away is a Passiflora caerulea / blue passionvine. Can you tell if it's an egg with all the water on it? The rainwater looks white in the picture and dirt has been splashed up onto the leaf by the rain.

photo MysteryDot_zps426f1e21.jpg

If it is an egg, will it be ok with all the water on it? Rain is heavy now and I've upended a large pot that has good holes and put it over the basil plant. Is that ok?

I've found a good GF egg pic to compare but can't tell. Thanks in advance for your help with the egg question and thanks for your help earlier this summer with the passionvine - it has looked happy! See egg pic at bottom left.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of GF egg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GF egg?

did you mean gulf fritillary? i have a passion vine in my yard, and has a lot of gulf frits in it few weeks ago, i noticed the egg is light yellowish little roundish shape...that picture doesn't look like the ones i have..and did you say it was on a basil plant?

o

I've never heard of a GF laying on Basil, not even if it's near its host, Passionvine. Now as a nectar source, Basil is a fairly good choice, as are other members of the Mint Family (Lamiaceae).

o

Thanks to you both. Yes, hawaiiponder, sorry, gulf fritillary. Glad you reminded me, Leafhead. I have plenty of basil seeds so I was going to take out the ratty looking basil. But after reading your comment I am going to leave the healthiest looking plants as they may bloom before frost, still plenty of hot days left in my climate.

The egg or mystery dot is gone this morning after a whole night of heavy rain and my best efforts to protect it, whatever it was, with a large flower pot inverted over the basil. Oh well, I have done my best. Thanks again.

o

Here is the gulf frit egg on my Passioflora foetida.

o

Here is the vine looks like, it usually grow in the open land and sometimes considered as nuisance weed, vine, where nobody cares about.but the fruiys are actually sweet and taste like mini "lilikoi" or passionfruit.

o

Thanks, hawaiiponder, that is very helpful to see the egg on the vine. What kind of bird is that in the picture? We probably don't have it here, but I'm just curious. Does it eat the fruit of your passiflora?

o

When gulf frit eggs are first laid, they look like little bitty ears of yellow corn. By the second day, the eggs turns darker, sort of reddish brown, then brown before it hatches.

Sherry

o

Here is closer pic of GF egg:-)

o

Here is closer pic of GF egg:-)

o

Thanks, Miss Sherry. Thanks again, hawaiiponder. I'm all set now & know what to look for!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here