Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly Bush not blooming?

Posted by trillianh CA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 1:43

I have 2 butterfly bushes, one yellow/orange and one red. My yellow one is blooming like crazy, I keep cutting it back and it keeps spreading. The red one however is slow to grow and only has a couple blooms. I know they will only bloom on new growth. I have fertilized them equally.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly Bush not blooming?

There is a great variance in butterfly bushes from one cultivar to another - do you know your red one's name? If it's Royal Red, it should be vigorous.
Sherry

o

I find a lot of variance among our specimens, too. Can't really say for sure, but maybe it's rather new and putting down roots instead of making bloom? Or it may need more frequent dead heading or more sun and water?

My biggest crime is that I fertilize them too heavily and then they get rangey. Apparently they like a light dose of well-balanced fertilizer in the spring and don't need much more.

I'm taking cuttings of my favorite bushes so that I can grow more of the most vigorous ones next year.

o

Fairfieldcircle, which BBs are your most vigorous?

While on the subject of BBs, MissSherry, has anyone grown the newer dwarf cultivars and found them to be vigorous in growth, bloom, and attractiveness to butterflies? The Nanho blue I grew for 3 years didn't get any takers so I took it out. Consequently, I am now reluctant to try other dwarfs like Peacock, which I love the look of.

I don't know why your BB is not blooming, As with all plants, unfortunately sometimes you just get a dud that doesn't do what it is supposed to do. I'd give it at least another year to see what happens, tho.

Susan

o

I believe it has been living here for at least 2 years, unfortunately it was here when I moved here so I have no clue what the name is. It seems to stay about 2 feet tall and is thin. How to describe this online, like the branches are normal size but it is not "bushy".

o

Susan, I've tried a few of the dwarf types, like ?Adonis Blue - it was in the Peacock series - and it never grew at all. I've had my best luck with the medium sized types like Ellen's Blue, which is about 6'-7' tall and about 5' wide. I loved Royal Red, but it grew SO huge I couldn't reach the top blooms to dead head them, and I got tired of pruning it back.
I'll probably be getting another BB next year, and I'll definitely get a medium grower.
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here