Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladobe

Of interest to you folks in Appalachia

ladobe
12 years ago

Morning folks (wee hours morning for me)...

I received an update from an old friend on the staff of the NSB (National Science Board) that I think will be of interest to those of you who live in or near Appalachia. It's in regards to Papilio appalachiensis, with some of the specifics.

Will include the link below in case you want to read the press release, and the low res pictures from the release as a teaser. BTW, so you know if you have a dial up, the high res are 1800X1200 and about 290KB each.

Enjoy,

Larry

NOTE: All credits K. Kunte, Harvard University.

A yellow form of the female eastern tiger swallowtail butterfly, here at Spruce Knob, W.Va.

{{gwi:534380}}
Close-up image of the wing scales of a male eastern tiger swallowtail butterfly.

{{gwi:534382}}
The Canadian tiger swallowtail butterfly is found in Canada and bordering areas of the United States.

{{gwi:534383}}
Male Appalachian tiger swallowtail feeding in Rhododendron flowers atop Spruce Knob, W.Va.

{{gwi:534386}}
Pipevine swallowtail butterfly in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee.

{{gwi:534389}}
The black female form of the Appalachian tiger swallowtail has the wing pattern of the pipevine swallowtail to evade predators.

{{gwi:534391}}

Here is a link that might be useful: National Science Foundation Press Release

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH