Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_mi_gw

Best zinnias for attracting butterflies

Ruth_MI
10 years ago

I searched for this topic, but got mostly very old posts. Since there are new varieties of zinnias out, I thought I'd ask for input.

Has anyone tried the 'Uproar Rose' zinnias? I was thinking about using them next year, but want to know if the butterflies like them.

I was also thinking of using 'Magellan' pink (a dwarf variety). Any experience with these?

What are your butterfly favorites?

I used 'Giant Enchantress' this year, and the butterflies and hummers both used them. I'll use them again next year, but would like to add some that are a little shorter.

Comments (11)

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Zowie Yellow Flame, Scarlet Flame, State Fair, Cut & Come Again.
    Angie

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I grew Uproar Rose and Purple Prince together last year and saved seed from them to plant this year. We've had a dismal summer for butterflies, so I can't tell you how well they attract them, but the bumble bees and honey bees certainly enjoy them. I'm saving seed again, and I'm focusing on the blossoms that have a nice large center for landing with lots of the yellow pollen/nectar producing parts. I'd be glad to share. I also love the smaller, bushy plants like the Profusion and Zaharah series, and I have those in white and deep pink.

Are you close to Grand Rapids? We could save on postage! Let me know.

Martha

• Ruth_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I'm on the other side of the state, but I appreciate the offer, and the info. I think i'll grow my 'Giant Enchantress' and the 'Uproar Rose' and an even shorter one. I was looking at the Magellan series to try. Hopefully I'll have butterflies again next year and can study their preferences.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

I grew uproar rose, state fair, benary's giant (mix) and a Magellan mix. Both the hummers and butterflies used them but my large African marigolds were by far the favorite of the butterflies. That being said the zinnias were not in full bloom at the peak of my butterfly season.

SCG

• Ruth_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG - What exactly are the African Marigolds? Did you buy them or grow them from seed? I just Googled it, but got a very mixed bag of results, and I haven't heard of these before.

10 years ago

I grew all mine from seed. I have Moonsong, Vanilla and crackerjack. They, like Uproar rose zinnia, are F1 hybrids so seeds may not grow true.

SCG

Here is a link that might be useful: African Marigolds

• Ruth_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, SCG - appreciate the additional info and link!

10 years ago

I better clarify. F1 hybrids may not grow true from collected seed.

• terrene
    10 years ago

There is a thread on the perennials forum where somebody posted a study showing that the Lilliput Zinnias attracted the most butterflies. I will have to give them a try, although I don't care for the fully double pom-pom type flowers.

Anyway, every year I grow a swath of the tall cultivars of Zinnia elegans like Cut & Come again, State Fair, California Giants, and Scarlet Flame. They are largely single and semi-double flowers, which supposedly the butterflies prefer because the they have a cone in the middle to hang onto, and easy access to the nectar tubes. But I have heard people say they like the Magellan and Benary Giants too.

Very easy to direct sow once the soil warms up and they grow fast. I grow them in a slightly different spot each year, to prevent mildew and fungus.

The bees and hummers also love them!

See the thread below for some of my pics and others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterflies on.... Zinnias

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Tithonia obtusafolia is another great nectar plant for those hot Summer months. Monarchs flock to them in the Fall, as well as Hummingbirds, Hummer Moths (White Lined and Clearwing), BSTs, Painted and American Ladies, Buckeyes and Skippers.
    They do need deadheading for best bloom, but it reseeds readily as an annual in milder regions.

• Ruth_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Terrene - Loved the link with all the pictures, and great to know you've done well with direct sowing. I'm going to try that with at least some in 2014.

Leafhead - I hadn't heard of Tithonia until late this summer. A local greenhouse sold plants this year, so hopefully they will next year too. I may try some seeds as well.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio