Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese swallowtail updates

Posted by hawaiiponder34 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 7:02

Swallowtail caterpillars ( chinese).everybody turned green:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese swallowtail updates

Awesome!

Nicholas

o

What beautiful and interesting looking caterpillars - I love green!

Sherry

o

Sweet!! Those are some cool cats:)
They almost look Sphingid in a way...

o

oh they are so slow, and cute alright, but what the heck is that smell they produce??? its like a mixture of lime oil, stale socks, and a week old armpit smell....good lord!! they spray me that each time I clean their container..I just don't like them crawling in their peppercorn-size poops. will keep you guys and dolls an update :-D

o

Black Swallowtails produce a nasty smell, also. Since they eat pretty strong smelling food (dill, parsley, fennel) they have plenty of smelly chemicals to work with. It's a protective response to scare predators away. Can you keep them outside. In the shade, where the smell will not be so bothersome?

Martha

o

I kept them in another bathroom we hardly use. I got the cat, the dog, and the chickens in the yard. I am not comfortable putting this guys in the butterfly house because the netting is not sturdy. when they all done pupating I will put them outside. the smell doesn't bother me at all, except when they all get excited when I feed them, hehehe:-). they are cute though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here