Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillars

Posted by bandjzmom 7 NWGeorgia (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 7:43

Just thought that I would share the little Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillars that I kept. I was curious about them and wanted to observe them. I only pulled 3 little cats off to raise. I think there were a gazillion on my Common Milkweed plants! They were really easy to gently handle with a plastic spoon if I needed to move them for cleaning out frass. They just curl up and play dead. :o) They also drop immediately to the ground with any disturbance at all. I was surprised that they didn't get bigger before they pupated. It was easy to know when they were ready to pupate because they just stopped eating completely. I put in a little container filled with shredded paper, and they just crawled and crawled all around it. Finally, I scooped one up with a spoon and set him on top of the paper. He burrowed right in and pupated very soon. I will "try" to post a pic of the little cocoons here somewhere. They are such adorable little cats, aren't they? "Look, but don't touch" definitely applies here though!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillars

Ok then, I guess I failed at getting the pics to post inside the body of the post. Let's try a different route.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed Tussock Moth cocoons

o

They also stop eating if they have a parasite which will pupate within maybe 8 days. I currently have a milkweed tiger attached to a white sac of parasites. I'm expecting a bunch of small wasps. The milkweed tiger is still alive.

Decent chance someone is allergic to milkweed tiger hair but I've yet to meet anyone that is. I've handled them for 40+ years and my kids love holding them. That said, when I do my school caterpillar talks, I do not let kids hold them since I don't want to invite problems.

KC

o

Thanks for that wonderful info KC! I think that I shall refrain from handling them..just in case. Oh, your poor Milkweed Tiger. How awful. I always feel sorry for the poor Tomato Hornworms with those wasp cocoons all over them. Well, I will watch the little Tussock cocoons to see what happens. Now, if all goes well and normally, I would not expect to see the moths until next spring. Is that right or no?

o

I don't expect my milkweed tiger cocoons to eclose until July (I did have 2 early ones out this year in May). Since you are in zone 7, your tigers' biological clocks may be on a different schedule.

KC

o

Meant to post about this earlier. I had a confused milkweed tiger eclose 8 days ago so keep an eye on your cocoons.

Today, my daughter found that an equally confused luna had eclosed. The luna was from a gravid female I caught so I'm very disappointed that I will have one less wild female for attracting males next year.

o

Oh wow. Thanks kc! I have them in a conspicuous location in my garage so that I will look at them often as I pass through. I also have a Tersa Sphinx Moth pupa in a container next to them!

o
My Shocking Tussock Confession...

I have a shocking confession....I'm a tussock killer!

They completely RAVAGE the milkweed and there's none left for the monarchs.

This year I removed one tussock covered leaf from the common milkweed.

Later in the season I found an egg-covered tropical milkweed leaf and the little terrors were just starting to hatch. I did an internet search to determine that they were tussocks since I'd never seen the eggs before.

However, when I came back the next day ALL the eggs and cats had been devoured by either bees, wasps, or spiders. I'm guessing wasps since they really like the tropical milkweed flowers.

Tussocks are like little milkweed piranhas.

Long live the Monarchs! :)

o

Oh coolbutterfly, you really made me giggle! They certainly are milkweed piranhas, and I was actually dismayed when I found ALL of them on my Common Milkweed plants which were meant to be a backup food source for my Monarch cats. Then again, they are soooooooooooo cute! I was curious about their eating habits and pupation, so I brought 3 of them into a container to check it out. My solution may be to grow more milkweed!

o

"Reflections" is a national art contest run by the PTA. My son's Polyphemus moth picture last school year finished 2nd in Ohio (only 1st moves on to the national level). The picture he will enter this year will be of a bunch of milkweed tigers on a milkweed leaf.

Milkweed tigers have been my favorite caterpillar since I was a kid. They're cute and they run fast. My daughter shares my love for them. She would much rather find a milkweed "tigey" than a monarch.

KC

o
Tussock Moth caterpillar PICTURES

Here are the little piranhas feeding on their milkweed prey and below is the aftermath. While a couple might be cute, the school will strip your milkweed bare!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here