Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minrose_gw

I only have two left to eclose, bummer

minrose
12 years ago

I have had an wonderful, fun and busy year raising Monarch, so far 837 with just 2 left. One will eclose today and not sure when my last one will eclose, probably this weekend. I am sure going to miss my sweetheart Monarchs. This will be my banner year, and quite satisfying for me, but it was too hard of a pace caring for all them, I will have to tone it down some next year. But whew, what a year, have tons of photos I could share.

{{gwi:534798}}

{{gwi:534799}}

Stay tuned for more soon.

Comments (6)

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

I didn't raise nearly as many as you but I've had Tiger, Spicebush, Black Swallowtail and Monarch cats around the house most of the summer. I released my last one yesterday (a Monarch) and have Empty Nest Syndrome now. It's kind of boring without them isn't it. lol
    Hope you stick around even after butterfly season is over. You can share your photos all winter. We won't mind. : )

I have to ask - What the heck is that second butterfly on? Do you raise gourds?

• Tony G
    12 years ago

Hi Minrose and Christie, if you want to extend your monarch season until the beginning of October try these two plants:

Tropical milkweed (stays viable until first frost)
    Liatris ligulistylis (keeps more monarchs around...and longer)

My last monarch eclosed Oct 3 last year and it will likely be Oct 5 this year...still waiting for 3 cats to pupate) Tony

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

You have indeed had a banner year, minrose! The monarchs say, "Thank you! You've aided in our survival in a big way!"

Is that clover the monarch is nectaring on in the first picture?

Sherry

• terrene
    12 years ago

Congrats on raising so many Monarchs! It must have been a lot of work. I have no idea of my exact numbers, but I've released at least 100. There are 8 more chrysalises to go, and they will all eclose over the next few days. I will miss my Monarch friends when they're gone too. :(

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I can't image raising that many. Good for you!

• minrose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you for your nice encouraging comments, that flower in the first photo, is a mum colored green, then the second photo is a pumpkin called Knucklehead that we grew in our garden.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery