Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly Bushes..Your Personal Favorites?

Posted by bandjzmom 7 NWGeorgia (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 10, 10 at 8:01

Ok, I am sure that this subject has probably been covered here before at some time. If so, forgive me, and participate only if you'd like. I adore butterfly bushes, and they reign supreme here at my house in terms of butterfly attraction and attention. I'd like to know which varieties are your favorites. Please name 3 favorites (that you already own), starting with your most favorite at #1. I have 7 or 8 different varieties in my yard. My favorites of those that I have are:

1. Sungold
2. Pink Delight
3. Royal Red

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly Bushes..Your Personal Favorites?

1. Attraction
2. Pink Profusion
3. White Profusion

o

1. Ellen's Blue
2. White Profusion

Sherry

o

I only have one right now and it is:

1. Bicolor

I love the colors on it, and the butterflies love it, too.....but I lust after MissSherry's 'Ellen's Blue'. You should see her photos of it! Magnificent!

Susan

o

Hey, can someone tell me if Rainbow and Bi-color are two different bushes? My friend gave me a little bush this Spring which she was sure was a Rainbow. Now, I'm not sure about it. You can take a look and see what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow? Bi-color?

o

Yours looks like a regular light purple one to me, but then I'm not familiar enough with them to know for sure.
Here's a picture of a red admiral on Ellen's Blue -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

o

A lot of the Buddleias which you all name sometimes last for only a couple of years in my zone 5, but I LOVE my plain old purples!! I am starting to surround them with tall Goldenrods and the show should be spectacular next year. Today the Red Admirals were covering them. :O)

o

Regarding Rainbow/bicolor~~sometimes if a plant is patented and yet propagated (but not licensed to do so) by a nursery they don't sell it under the 'brand name' but rather some generic name. That could be the case with 'bicolor'. I have a bicolor too and the butterflies seem to like it.

Also 'Royal Red' is well liked. I have Ellen's but don't see much activity on it...I wonder why.

I buy the newer hybrids in hopes that they are more sterile and won't reseed to eliminate issues with invasiveness.

My goldenrods are coming into bloom too and they are next to a buddliea.

o

1. Pink Delight
2. Royal Red
3. Adonis Blue
Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

o

The only 2 varieties I have (as of this year) is Black Knight and Pink Delight. Although the PD gets attention the BK is the reigning king! I will be looking into everyone elses favorites since I didn't know a couple of them exsisted until now! Thanks for feeding my "addiction"!
Melissa

o

Here's a link to a photo of 'Bicolor'. It has some yellow/gold in it because it is said to be a Dr. Michael Dirr selection out of Buddleia 'Honeycomb' a yellow flowering butterfly bush.

MissSherry, I still marvel at the beauty of Ellen's Blue. I think it was the first actual "blue" butterfly bush????

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Buddleia 'Bicolor'

o

• Posted by weed30 6 St Louis (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 10, 10 at 20:23

What is the smallest variety? I don't have a huge yard.

o

Wow Sherry, Ellen's Blue is gorgeous!! I want that one! I have never seen such a blue one. Hey, I just came across one called a "Fountain Butterfly Bush." I've never seen such a thing. Anyone have this one?
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/budalternifolia.htm

Is the Adonis as blue as the Ellen's? My least fav is probably my Nanho Blue.

o

I had an Adonis Blue, which was the most beautiful shade of DARK blue, almost navy blue. Unfortunately, it wouldn't grow for me, never getting more than about 1' tall - it got overgrown by my Sonset lantana and died. I've thought about replanting it, if I could find a spot in a raised bed where it would get no competition. Still, most butterfly bushes are vigorous enough to make a place for themselves. Ellen's Blue isn't as dark, but it's very vigorous, without being HUGE like Royal Red and some others, so I love it.
Like I said, I'd like to try Adonis Blue again, though. The color of those flowers - what few I got - was to die for!
Sherry

o

1. Pink Delight
2. Royal Red
3. A 14yo tricolor from Michigan Bulb that is now only white.

o

For: weed30...I grow a very nice small one called WHITE BALL. The name derives from the shape of the bush, not from the shape of the blooms. It is a white that is constantly in bloom (if dead-headed). It is advertised at 3' x 3' when fully grown. I ordered mine as a small, recently rooted plant this spring, so it is in it's first year of growth. Mine has reached about 18" x 18" this year. The plant is a densely branched and foliaged specimen in my garden. The attached photo shows it this past week. It has been quite effective in attracting butterflies of all types but the larger butterflies seem to be more drawn to my other larger bushes. There is also available a smaller buddleia named BLUE CHIP that tops out at 20" x 20". I don't grow that one. The majority of the bushes recommended by the others on this post, usually top out at 6'-7'.

This is potted and grown in a 15 gallon pot.

o

My favorites among those that I grow are:

Potter's Purple
Black Knight
White Profusion

Pictures of most of mine are attached to help in making choices.

Potter's Purple

Black Knight

White Profusion

Miss Ruby

Nanho Purple

Purple Emperor

Peacock

Bob

o

Gosh Bob, those pics are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing them. I have a fairly green thumb and don't normally have much trouble keeping anything alive, but the Blue Chip that my sister bought for me ($26) was the exception. She got two of them for herself and one for me. They were all in large pots, and they all died. I have another friend who has a very very green thumb, and hers died as well. So, I am not recommending Blue Chip at all.

o

I just LOVE that Miss Ruby, Bob!!
That may be my next one.
Sherry

o

Attraction is the #1 choice here
Then my Rainbow---Bi-color---are these indeed the same?
then the purples.
I wanted a blue BF bush & purchased 2 Lo & Behold "Blue Chips" & they both died! Lucklily I purchased them from a garden center that had a 1 year warranty on their plants!

I would like the best true blue...Adonis or Ellen's??? Which is bluer? Which is more compact?

o

Ok then, we have a 3 way tie. The equally favored (3 votes each) bushes among those who replied are:

Royal Red
Pink Delight
White Profusion

Coming in 2nd with 2 votes each are:

Attraction
Bicolor

*Thanks for your contributions!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here