Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starrlife

monarchs eating something besides milkweed!?

starrlife
12 years ago

In years past I have raised and released monarchs. We moved over the summer and have no milkweed in our yard so was planning on only being able to enjoy monarchs as they came to my yard to feed.

Much to my surprise, my daughters came running into the house this morning saying thy discovered monarch cats. I went out to investigate and there are at least five cats at various sizes. BUT THEY ARE EATING SOMETHING BESIDES MILKWEED! How is this even possible? I didn't have time for pictures since we had to get out the door to school/work but am hoping to get some later. The plant is a vine with a slightly heart shaped leaf, I think it is a sweet potato vine or some kind of morning glory? You can clearly see where they have eaten the leaves and some of them are in late instars so its working!

Has anyone heard of this? I'm going to go to my ex's house today to get our caterpillar aquarium and cut some milkweed for them. I guess I will just put some of each plant in for them?

Comments (12)

• starrlife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After a little research I can answer my own post...it is honeyvine which is apparently in the milkweed family! Who knew! The exciting part is they are right where I was planning my milkweed patch to plant in the fall so I guess mother nature gave us a head start!

Here is a link that might be useful: honeyvine

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

It is milkweed. Look at what I linked.

I've been wondering how you are doing. If you want some polyphemus eggs, I have loads.

KC

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed vine

• starrlife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey KC! Thanks for the link. I shudder to think what has been there on those vines all summer while I mowed right over them.
    I'm apparently destined for more caterpillars this year in our new home! Have you had a successful cat summer? I think I would like some Polyphemous! I know last time we used oak leaves but have since moved so I want to make sure we have a food source. I will look tonight and let you know!

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

Make sure you have plenty. A large monarch caterpillar can consume quite a bit of honeyvine. I have it all over my yard. That is the other thing, it spreads quite rapidly. In fact if you need more you are welcome to come and harvest all you want :).
    -Elisabeth

• tomatoworm59
    12 years ago

I never really understood honeyvine until i watched the tiny, very insignificant flowers go to seed. Yes, they make the same basic pods like any conventional milkweed, just smaller and on crooked, pipejoint like stems. I had to look it up. This was some 30 years ago, but there it is--listed in the book, "Nebraska Weeds," and clearly a member of the milkweed family.
    That said, there is not one drop of latex anywhere, throughout this plant. Leave it to an insect to still smell the right phytochemicals, lay her eggs and hatch out larvae that will be just as nourished by it, as any conventional milkweed!
    I believe it was 8 or 9 years ago, that I saw a Monarch caterpillar feeding on honeyvine. One can just about classify some plants by host-specific bugs that are found on them.

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

How can I tell for sure if I have this vs bind weed? I have something similar to this growing in my flower beds and I've seen something similar (seed pods) in my neighbors yard. I've been pulling it, thinking it was bind weed, but what if it's not?

~Laura

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

For a list of odd milkweeds, vines, and non-milkweed plants monarchs use, see the FAQ about Monarch Hostplants.

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

Laura,

I ask the same question once and I was told to offer the leaves to a Monarch cat. If it eats the leaves, then it's Honeyvine and not Bindweed. The leaves of the honeyvine are rather heartshaped. Do the Bindweed leaves look like this ...

Cynanchum laeve
    Aka: Sand Vine, Honey Vine, Blue Vined Milkweed, Honeyvine Milkweed

{{gwi:535525}}

• fighting8r
    12 years ago

We have a "milkweed vine" that grows wild around here, I don't know the name of it but it is not that same one. It has small leaves and I NEVER find eggs or cats on it. But I can feed it to them. It does not go far because of the small leaves, although they can eat the newer-growth vine itself. I've never seen flowers or seeds on it either. Anyway they eat it! Wish we had it in some more accessible areas for backup food.

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

You have to be careful what you feed to them. There are several "swallow-worts" that are non-native invasives. Some of these such as the black swallow-wort, Cynanchum louiseae, also known as Louise's swallowwort, can be toxic to monarchs. There are many different Cynanchum depending on where you live. So, it is important to ID them. Luckily, most of the non-natives have colored flowers, but not all.

In terms of comparing them to bindweeds, I find that bindweed tends to have mulitiple stems from a common origin in the ground. Whereas honeyvine grows singularly.

-Elisabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Cynanchum

• tomatoworm59
    12 years ago

Bindweed also has dozens of small white to pale pink or lavender blooms, about 1.5" across. It is a convulvulus or in the morning glory family. Pink-spotted sphinx larvae will eat bindweed, but never introduce it.

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

What I have growing has no flowers... it is a single stem coming up from the ground. The leaves are heart shaped and grow opposite each other off the stem instead of alternating. I think it may be the honeyvine. Hmmmm

~Laura