Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

Some days it just works better!

bob_71
12 years ago

Did you ever notice that on some days, no matter what you try, your pictures seem to be below your normal standards and on others, they all seem to turn out really great?

With me, the good days seem to come when the ambient lighting is brighter...this allows the cameras software to select a faster shutter speed thus reducing the effect of motion blur.

These are some shot on August 11...a good day!

Thanks for taking a look!

Bob

The "purple sheen" that is often displayed on the Little Glassywing (Pompeius verna) shows up on this one.

{{gwi:535566}}

Fiery Skipper (Hylephila phyleus) is one of my favorites.

{{gwi:535569}}

The Milkweed Tussock Moth (Euchaetes egle) was numerous on the Common Milkweed plants.

{{gwi:535572}}

Probably the second most numerous butterfly in my yard is Peck's Skipper (Polites peckius).

{{gwi:535576}}

Red Banded Hairstreak (Calycopis cecrops) nectaring on Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa).

{{gwi:535579}}

Comments (14)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Stunning pictures, Bob!
    Sherry

• mcronin
    12 years ago

Among the best butterfly pictures I've ever seen and that includes PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS. Your photography made me understand why the first butterfly has "glassywing" in its name. You made me rethink my previous lack of interest in learning to distinguish skippers BECAUSE I HAD PREVIOUSLY FOUND THEM UNINTERESTING BECAUSE THEY LOOKED SO PLAIN.

THANKS FOR EDUCATION THROUGH GREAT PICTURES-OFTEN THE MOST ENJOYABLE KIND.

MIKE

• seedmoney
    12 years ago

Butterfly Bob,
    Your photos bring me such delight---you have a gift for bringing these ephemeral creatures' personalities to life.

Applause,applause...
    seedmoney

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

The little lady in the last shot matched her dress color for the photoshoot! :-)

Absolutely breathtaking shots and with such amazing detail. Do you use the Canon 100 mm lens mounted on a tripod for your butterfly photos?

~Mary

• bob_71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are all very kind with your comments and I appreciate them.

Mary, I do always use the Canon 100mm Macro lens and I always use the tripod (sometimes as a monopod, sometimes as a bipod but usually as a tripod). This lens does the best job of blurring backgrounds of any I have ever used and it is SHARP.

Thanks, again to all of you!

Bob

• minrose
    12 years ago

Wow, these are very stunning photos indeed, excellent beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

• mcronin
    12 years ago

In addition to donating his beautiful garden plants to the Karen Cronin Memorial Garden, Bob is donating copies of some of his best pictures of plants and butterflies to the Meadowbrook Library who conceived of the memorial garden and have funded a beautiful bench, a memorial plaque, and permanent plant labels for the garden. These pictures will help us further the enjoyment, therapeutic and educational goals of the memorial garden.

The entire community, the library directors and I are so thankful to Bob for his generous contributions to make Karen's Memorial Garden such a special place!

mike

• terrene
    12 years ago

Beautiful pics Bob, and how wonderful that you are sharing your plants and photos for the memorial garden. Love the fact that it will also educate the public!

• fighting8r
    12 years ago

I always know when I see a post from bob_71 I will see some wonderful pictures, and am never disappointed. Thanks!!
    kelly

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Bob,

Always love your photos, especially the ventral view of the male Zabulon (photo #2). Great catch!

Sandy

• Tony G
    12 years ago

your photos are nothing short of inspirational! Thank you for sharing them on these forums Tony

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

I love the colors on the Peck's Skipper and Red Banded Hairstreak. The lighting really is amazing. Your pictures cross the line into the realm of serious art. I could stare at them for hours studying the minute details. You can almost feel the textures of the wings and flower petals. Thanks for the enjoyment.

Martha

• bandjzmom
    12 years ago

Always superb pics, and no disappointment here. Wonderful stuff. Thanks so much for sharing.~~Angie

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County