Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Awestruck

Posted by seedmoney 8A (seedmoney@embarqmail.com) on
Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 10:32

I've been grumbling about the hot weather... until yesterday. The skies opened, the winds blew the mosquitoes away (temporarily) and I shivered for the first time since April. Sweeping up the terrace, I noticed a bromeliad had blown over, exposing treasure..
Neoregelia 'Sheer Joy' with Monarch chrysalises
Monarch Chrysalis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Awestruck

That's amazing! in my entire life I have only seen ONE chrysalis in the wild. They are crazy good at hiding. congratulations! Tony

o

Superb close-up!

Bob

o

Amazing. I'm always so impressed by the beauty of the monarch chyrsalis.

~Laura

o

Hehehe! I love their choice of pupating sites!

Congrats!

Sherry

o

I love the unexpected. That probably really made your day!

o

Since seedmoney is in 8A, are they monarchs? Or are they queens? I know you tell the difference by the # of gold dots but I don't think the camera angle shows what is necessary (but I'm no queen expert).

o

What a fun discovery, I have yet to see a chrysalis in the wild.

o

kcclark--would you kindly elaborate on the number of gold dots differentiating monarchs from queens? How interesting!
regards,
seedmoney.....off to count the dots....

o

Go to the page I've linked and then click on the pair of chrysalises that are on the right.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Tell the Difference Between Monarch and Queen Butterfly Caterpillars, Chrysalis, and Adults.

o

What awesome pics and an sweet find! NEAT! Also loved KC's link in regards to the numbers of dots difference. I had never come across that info before. I bet if I went and read everything at Edith's site, I might know even more! :o) Maybe that should be a new goal of mine.

o

something that struck me when I first saw the picture is that the "texture" of the chrysalis looked different than a monarchs.

do the chrysalides "feel" different? Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here