Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Question Re saving milkweed seed.

docmom_gw
10 years ago

I've been watching a field of Common Milkweed plants all summer, waiting for the seed pods to ripen. The entire field has an infestation of the seed-eating beetles. Interestingly, once a beetle has invaded a pod, the seeds ripen very quickly. Or, maybe the beetles go for pods that are more ripe? So, if I open the dry, twisted, grayish pods, the seeds look healthy and brown, while the nearby healthy pods still have white seeds. Are these brown seeds ripe? Will they germinate? Some of the pods that the beetles have been inside have had their seeds completely devoured and turned to dust. Some pods are partly turned to dust, but still have healthy appearing seeds as well. I just hate to toss what might be good quality seeds when we need large quantities of seeds to re-establish Monarch habitat.

Alternatively, if I wait for healthy pods, do they need to have split open to be ripe? I have some healthy pods that are finally brown inside. Can I harvest these seeds now, even though they still aren't dried on the outside? Thanks for any thoughts.

Martha

Comments (5)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I would wait for the healthy pods, the ones untouched by beetles, to open. The healthier the stock, the better the food source. Darwin. I would just Fall sow these early ones and concentrate on saving the good stuff. That way, nothing is wasted.
    Pods that have begun to turn yellow and have brown seeds are just a week or so away from being ripe.
    I would wait for the pod to barely split, but harvest the seed before the fluff dries. That way, they can still be easily handled.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hi Docmom, when I collect milkweed pods, I wait until they are yellowing, but not split open yet. I think the yellowing means that the plant's energy is receding from the seedhead and the drying process has started. I spread the pods out in a flat container and let them dry some more. Then test the pods periodically by squeezing or rolling a bit, until they just start to split open (takes a week or so). The seeds are brown at this point, but the pappus or fluff is still slightly moist, and doesn't fly all over the place. It's easier to remove the seeds from the pod without making a mess this way. Then, I spread out the seeds and let them dry out for another week or so.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, both of you. Of course, you are right and I will wait a bit longer. Maybe I'll use what I have to make seed bombs for my teenagers to toss out the windows of the car as we ride along the highway. I need to look up the recipe for those. I think they need some clay in the mix to keep them together until there has been some rain and snow.

Martha

• denali2007
    10 years ago

Martha

when you find the "recipe" for the seed bombs, could you please post it. Sounds interesting
    Thanks

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seed Bomb Recipe

5 parts dry clay ( can be purchased in craft shops, or use natural clay)
    1 part compost
    1 part seeds

Mix in small amounts of water slowly just until the mixture starts to hold together when compressed. Make marble-sized balls and set them out to dry. Distribute at will. If too much water is used and they take too long to dry, you may have early germination resulting in "duds".

Martha