Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tpolony

Monarch Suddenly Lost Ability to Grip

tpolony
12 years ago

I'm very upset. I have this HUGE beautiful monarch that was fine until after I fed him. Then I noticed him at the top of the canopy and he was having trouble getting one of his legs to hook, it was sliding everywhere. I thought, Oops, I hope I didn't somehow do that.

Then I noticed that another of his legs seemed like it was not hooked in, too, so I took him down gently from where he was hanging. While I held him, he tried to grip onto me and now all 4 legs could not grip. He went from 2 hooks working to no hooks working while he was in my hand.

All of the hooks are there, it's as if he's lost the ability to tilt them downward so that they catch -- they just point straight out from the end of the legs instead of pointing down.

Do they have muscular control of the hooks, i.e. are they like wrists in that they can point them down and then straighten them as needed, or are they "set" in a pointed down position? I'm trying to figure out why they went from down to straight. Loss of muscular control, nerve damage?

I'm very gentle when I remove them from the mesh, I generally put my finger near their legs and wait for the to grab on, so I don't think it's the way I handled him.

I'm at a loss on this one. If anyone has seen this before, or can clear up for me how the hooks work, I'd appreciate it, although this won't fix the situation. If it's some sort of sudden paralysis, maybe there's a chance it could clear up over a few days, as suddenly as it happened, like a butterfly stroke.

Could he have hurt himself if he flew towards a wall? One of the ones I fed did this, but I'm not sure it was him -- in fact, I'm fairly certain it wasn't him, but just in case.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor