Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny Blooms For Tiny Butterflies

Posted by bob_71 z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 10:51

It seems that my best blooms for attracting small butterflies are the smallest and most clustered. This was my first year for a mint called Wild Mint or Meadow Mint (Mentha Arvensis). I ordered three bare root plants and all three thrived and bloomed all summer (still in bloom). The Hairstreaks and Tailed Blues were constantly at them. Another new one for me was the Garlic Chives...it was recommended to deter voles but it turned out to have beautiful blooms and has also been a big favorite with the small butterflies. I would like to share a few shots of the small guys, some on small blooms, some on Cabbage!

Bob

Gray Hairstreak (Strymon melinus) on Garlic Chives (Allium tuberosum).

Gray Hairstreak (Strymon melinus) on Wild Mint (Mentha arvensis).

Gray Hairstreak (Strymon melinus) basking (upper view).

Red-banded Hairstreak (Calycopis cecrops)0n cabbage.

Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas).

Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas) top view.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny Blooms For Tiny Butterflies

Very nice. I got some shots of a White M Hairstreak. I'll have to post them. When the fragrant boneset begins to bloom, they show up for the feast.

o

I'm having the same fun with the little guys, they are so tolerant of the camera it really makes it fun! Great shots all around but I love the eastern tailed blue topside! I have yet to see a red-banded hairstreak :(

o

The flowers on Garlic Chives really do attract the butterflies, especially the small ones. The Snouts love them, too. My only problem with them is they have such a short, short bloom time. I must remember to plant some alliums to attract the spring butterflies........

BTW - beautiful photos, Bob!

Susan

o

Wow Bob. These are really gorgeous pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

o

I've even found that common mint, in pots, is an attractor for hairstreaks and the smaller butterflies.

o

So sweet! I'll have to try the alliums and the mint in pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here