Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdbabe

I need help with monarch butterflies PLEASE

bluebirdbabe
12 years ago

I have a butterfly that just eclosed today. It is cold and windy and the sun will not come out until Sunday. The next 3 days the forcast is rain and high of 60*. If I let it go will it survive or is there something else I can do to help it survive. I also have 2 more chrysalsis' that I found on my house and I brought them in because it was getting down to 34* at night. They will come out tomorrow. I have never had butterflies this late in the season and I just want them to survive. I also found a caterpillar while pulling the milkweed...he is in a "J"...it will be October before he comes out. I wish now I would have left him outside....but I love my monarch's and only wanted to help....thanks in advance for any help!!

Karen

Comments (7)

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

Most people would probably tell you to hold on to it. I feel that fall monarchs are built for this weather. We have had rain all day with a few dry spells and it is in the 60's. I looked out my window and there was a monarch on it's way. If you put it out during the day, it will find shelter and keep moving when it can. Don't wait for the perfect day. We see monarchs through November migrating. That being said, I wouldn't toss it out during a downpour :).
    -elisabeth

• mechelle_m
    12 years ago

Do you have enough room in your enclosure for the butterfly to flit around? If so, try bringing in a nectar source, either a flower or saturate a sponge with "fake" nectar. I'm sure there is a recipe on this site somewhere.

If not, I would place the butterfly under a shelter: leaves of a tree or on a covered patio.

Hope this helps,

Mechelle

• Tony G
    12 years ago

hi Karen,

currently I have four monarchs in my porch hanging on potted milkweed plants. It is going to be cool and cloudy until Friday so I'll just keep them inside until then.

They can survive in this weather but since they haven't had sufficient time to nectar they may have problems with flight.

since the porch is not heated, the monarchs will stay fairly still until the sun and warmth return...which will be soon!

Don't worry about the monarchs yet...there are still plenty of warm days for them to fly south. Tony

• bluebirdbabe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks everyone!! The one that came out today flew off. The sun came out for about 20 minutes and I put her in the sun. I took the screen off the plastic tote and off she went. Next 3 days, rain and cooler...hope the other 2 don't come out for a few days. Elisabeth, you made me feel better that you think the butterflies are made for the cooler weather...and I would never let them out in a downpour. I also worry that there is not much food around. I put hummingbird sugar water on the butterfly bush lol the lil yellow BF like it so hopefully a hungry monarch will eat it too.

• minrose
    12 years ago

Yeah, I have 5 Monarchs that I am waiting to release until it warms up some and the wind dies down, it was so windy yesterday! Sounds like it should be warming up by Thursday late afternoon or Friday.

• bandjzmom
    12 years ago

Well, I would say that Mother Nature equips the creatures with the know how and the ability to survive. If it's above 50 degrees and it isn't raining, I would release the butterflies. JMHO.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

bluebirdbabe, if you send your butterflies through Indiana, I still have lots of flowers for the butterflies. LOL I hope the first frost holds off as several plants which are usually done blooming by now are setting out a second flush of flowers.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County