Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Anyone want Liatris ligualistylis seeds?

docmom_gw
10 years ago

I had read somewhere that this variety of Liatris was particularly attractive to Monarchs as a nectar source for their migration back to Mexico. So, I planted some last year and it bloomed this year. We had very few Monarchs in Michigan this summer, but once this planted started to bloom, I had a Monarch on it every day. I guess whatever I read was correct. Anyway, now my blooms are producing seeds. I plan to plant tons more in my yard as well as my family members', but is wanted to make sure I made it available to any of you who would like some. It prefers full sun with good drainage. It is a typical prairie plant. Anyone who wants seed can respond here and/or e-mail me through GW.

Martha

Comments (27)

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Yes, Martha! Would love some. And this one does come up well from seed. If my gophers would quit eating it, I'd have a lot, but alas, they love it. So will plant your seed inside of hardware cloth baskets. Sending you an email with my info.

Sandy

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Martha, I can't access your email, so here is an email address where you can reach me. butterflymombixby at yahoo dot com

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

For some reason I can not access your email either.
    Id LOVE to have some of those seeds.

My email is cghpnd1@aim.com...

• butterflybarry13
    10 years ago

Martha, yes ma'am i would love some liatris seeds! :) I have a wonderful spot in my garden for them. I will e-mail you my information.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I apologize for the difficulty with my e-mail. I triple checked my profile and it hasn't changed since I joined many years ago. I re-entered my e-mail and hopefully it will work now. I'll send my address to anyone who has contacted me and you can send me a SASBE with postage. I'll keep harvesting seed as each blossom ripens, so I have plenty.

Martha

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

Please Martha!!! I'd love some. If you'll send me your address I'll be happy to send the envelope. (by the way, what's the B in the SASBE?

~Lalura

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

I will also send you an envelope....sounds great!

Thanks

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

SASBE = Self Addressed Stamped Bubble Envelope.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Leafhead. I was explaining in their e-mails, but I should have posted here as well.

Martha

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Martha,

I have a quick question. The liatris plants you started from seed, can you SEE the tuber at all at the base of the plant now that they've matured a bit? I bought some plugs this summer and have been growing them out in small pots. I recently transplanted them and noticed for many, a bit of tuber is showing. I tried to lightly cover each one like that but we just had a terrible storm and now I see the soil has compacted or washed away a bit and I can AGAIN see the top of some of the tubers. I know there is quite a bit of root way down below so I guess this might be normal but thought I'd ask. I've only seen wild ones growing twice and don't remember much about the base of the plant so don't know if this is normal. Any comments appreciated.

Mary

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I do not see the tuber. Though, I transplanted all of my plants to the back of the bed once the blooms faded, because they were much taller than I expected. So, they might not be sitting in the soil exactly as they would be if I hadn't moved them. I also have pretty deep shredded oak leaf mulch that probably keeps things covered.

Martha

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Thank you, Martha, for taking time to answer my question. I'll leave them to Mother Nature and hope they thrive. Being a native plant, this situation may also occur in the wild so the plants probably adjust.

Mary

• Tony G
    10 years ago

Mary, this is pretty common...most of mine are completely covered though. If I notice any with exposed tubers I usually cover them in fall or spring when I divide them.

Good luck with your liatris...it's an unbelievable monarch attractor up north. Hopefully there are plenty of monarchs in your region during its bloom period, Tony

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mary,
    They're pretty tough, and should make it through almost anything. I plan to increase my patch as quickly as possible. So, if you need seeds or seedlings, I'd be happy to send some your way.

Martha

• Corgikarma
    10 years ago

Martha, do you still have seeds available? How fast growing are they? (If started inside will they bloom come summer?)

• Connie Kru
    10 years ago

Hi Martha,
    I would love some seed, if you still have some.
    I live in Ray, Michigan.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have plenty of seeds for anyone. They are typical perennials that will grow the first year and bloom the second and subsequent years. I will email my address and you can send me an envelope with postage and I'll send you a generous bag of seeds.

Martha

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Corikarma,
    I can't send you an email. Please unblock your email so I can send you my address.

Martha

• nowyousedum
    10 years ago

Martha, I would love some seeds! I went to a butterfly symposium a few years ago and have been adding beds each year to help increase the population. Loads of fun!

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nowyousedum,
    Cute name. I tried to send you my address, but your email isn't open for Gardenweb users to contact you. Go to member pages and adjust your settings to allow for emails from other members.

Martha

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have not yet received any envelopes or stamps from anyone, so I wanted to make sure no one is having trouble contacting me. If you are, please post here again. I have recently replied to a few emails, so maybe I'm all caught up. But, please let me know if you've been left hanging unintentionally. Thanks,

Martha

• nowyousedum
    10 years ago

Hi Martha. I did as you said. Thanks! I was wondering why I hadn't gotten responses from the forums I have commented on. New to Gardenweb and fairly new to gardening. I started a few years ago and was bitten and smitten!

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nowyousedum,
    I've sent you an email.

Martha

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

I still intend to send the envelope - just haven't been to a store yet to buy one. On my list to do tomorrow!

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wifey,
    I completely understand. If you don't have a bubble envelope, I have some extras around. No rush. There is still plenty of time for planting all winter.

Martha

• Corgikarma
    10 years ago

I did some research and since Liatris ligualistylis is not native to my area I am leaning towards Liatris aspera. Does anyone know how effective this variety is?

• GarynJeanna
    10 years ago

Hello

We are interested in some seed if still available,

Thanks.
    Jeanna / Gary

P.s. Can send you SASE

Sponsored