Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Purple Milkweed Seeds are available

butterflymomok
12 years ago

Earlier I posted that I would have these seeds available. They are ready. I will bag up packets of 30+ seeds to send out. I should have about 10 packets. Send me an email and I will send my address - butterflymombixby@y_hoo dot com. You will need to send me a bubble envelope. You can send the envelope with an address label inside. And you will need to include return postage. I will get these back to you ASAP so you can begin stratifying these seeds. These plants are easy to grow from seed.

Sandy

Comments (22)

• seedmoney
    12 years ago

Sandy,
    I'd like to take you up on your kind offer--thanks!

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

Sandy I'm interested in trying it... but I really don't know a darn thing about stratifying the seeds. :-/

Laura

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Sandy, I wanted to tell you that my Purple Milkweed did come back from the roots, so I have 2 still. Also have both A. sulivanti's as well, since the other one came back, too! I was surprised because I thought the whole tiny plant was pulled up by the roots. So, yeah!!

Susan

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am so glad, Susan. I'm learning that the plants can die back and still return. One of the variegata's that I got from you has come back. I haven't given up on the other 2 yet.

Sandy

• Tony G
    12 years ago

Laura, all you have to do to stratify the seeds in the fall is PLANT them and nature takes care of the rest.

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

That works for me! :-)

~Laura

• lucas_tx_gw
    12 years ago

What are the growing conditions for it? Will it grow in clay?

Thanks

Teri

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Teri,

I've included a link that gives information about growing conditions, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Milkweed

• imabirdnut
    12 years ago

Sandy, will send you an email! I was thinking I was going to send you some of the seeds I have in exchange...check out my list to see if you are interested in any thing I have listed so far. I do have a few other seeds that aren't listed because of the quantity I currently have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Imabirdnut's Exchange List

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Sent you an email.

Karen

• fighting8r
    12 years ago

Always so nice of folks to share seed! Wish the purple would grow in s. Florida.

• terrene
    12 years ago

That is great that you got seed pods on your A. purpurescens. I would love some seeds of your seeds and hope you still have some available. Sending you an email!

• Ament
    12 years ago

I was wondering if you still had purple milkweed seeds available? :)

~Tina

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I have a couple of bags available. Send me an email.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Um, No email on your page butterflymomok. :) Or I would! :P LoL

~Tina

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

I would also like some seeds if there are any left. Susanlynne48 sent me over here because I'm trying to grow more host and nectar plants.

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My email is butterflymombixby at y-hoo dot com. It was in one of the earlier posts on this thread. After tigerdawn, there are no more seed packets.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    12 years ago

Hi Sandy,

I would like some, too, if you have any left. I am e-mailing you. Thanks! River

• seedmoney
    12 years ago

Sandy,
    I received my seeds today--can't wait to winter sow them--many thanks!
    regards,
    seedmoney

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Sandy, you are such a darned good person, it brings tears to my old, bleary eyes! What a dear butterfly lover and friend you are to me personally, too.

I am so glad you were able to share your seeds with TigerDawn. I believe she is becoming a butterfly lover like the rest of us, and I am thrilled, TigerDawn! The Monarchs need as many friends as they can get. Oklahoma is a major flyway for the migrating butterflies, both spring and fall. I had two big beautiful ones in the garden today. They still love the Sunflowers and the Golden Crownbeard and the Cosmos, but oddly enough they really love the White Zinnias. A few of these "uglies" reseed each year in the garden, from a packet of reds that produced the white a few years back. I let them grow because the insects love them, too. But, they are not the least pretty.

Susan

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

I have the big white zinnias too. But the bees and butterflies seem to like the cosmos and salvias best. The bees go nuts for my white datura too. They are so funny. They'll be out there in the early evening before the flowers open buzzing all over the place. They'll force the blooms open enough that they can squeeze inside and then they get stuck. So then I'm out there deadheading and the flower buds are all buzzing angrily and I'm like "sorry guys, I'm not rescuing you. You should have been patient!"

I was in the big park across the street this morning and I finally saw one lonely little milkweed. I have been scouring the field where there are normally a lot of them. It makes me really worried for the next generation of monarchs. I'm also worried about the birds. There are hardly any berries and seeds to get them through the winter. The hackberries and grapes are almost totally bare. I bought a couple of feeders and some seed last week for them. Haven't had a chance to put them up yet though. I've got to get all the houseplants inside and settled and then maybe I can work on that!

Oh! Speaking of, I noticed that someone said monarchs will feed on Asclepias because it is related to the milkweeds. I was wondering if they would also like hoyas because they're also related. I have lots of them and they have been outside most of the time.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Hi Sandy, I got your seeds today in the mail. Thank you very much! They look like healthy robust seeds and I'm excited about sowing some this winter. Did you grow your plants from seed? I got some seeds from Prairie Moon about 3 years ago and have seedlings in their 2nd year (still small) and one plant that is in its 3rd year. It had a flower bud developing in the Spring but a deer ate the top off!! Oh well, maybe next year.

I have noticed that A. variegata and A. purpurascens can die back and reappear the next year too.

Tigerdawn - milkweed is the common name generally used for the Asclepias species. Purple milkweed = Asclepias purpurascens. Btw, I am worried about Monarchs too!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville