Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

20 stripers!

Liz
9 years ago

I decided with enough hosing off of milkweed bugs I could use the swamp milkweed I planted to feed my cats. Those plants are pretty disgusting, but underneath all the bugs there are plenty of healthy looking leaves. Which is good, because I brought in 20 eggs, which are now caterpillars busy munching away. There are still a few larvae out in the garden, mostly pretty small, but I also discovered one giant caterpillar on my incarnata. I have my fingers crossed for him! I didn't want to bring him in for fear of contaminating something, or bringing in a lot of milkweed bugs to infest my cage.

The only remaining problem is figuring out how to move the cats from the individual leaves to big branches in water. I would like to do that now that they are getting bigger. I would be interested to know how other people transfer them. Last year, I used straight pins to attach the leaves the cats were on, onto leaves on the branches. Call it the seamstress solution!
Liz

Comments (10)

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Liz,
    When I am cleaning cages, I just take out everything and separate out the leaves the cats are currently on. Then I clean the cage and only put back what the cats are clinging to. Then I put in fresh leaves or branches on top. I don't bother trying to keep branches in water, but I change the leaves at least once daily. My little ones find their way to the fresh food without any problem.

Martha

• beebeeann
    9 years ago

We raised over 300 last year and in the end, the easiest method to keep everything clean and natural was to cover the planters with pop-up laundry hampers. We would leave about 20 cats per plant and secure a hamper to the base of the planter with clothespins. This year, the ones we're bringing in we're keeping in butterfly keeper pop-ups with startup planters of their host plant. I planted all of the seeds from last year's pods and now I can place 4 1-quart planters per cage on a melamine plate to make it easier to clean up. The cats don't wander around too much, just go from planter to planter, so the OE is non-existent. Still, I find last year's method easier and less stressful on the cats, too. The absolute most difficult way we ever did it, was our first year, when we tried to keep them in plastic containers, with fresh leaves and napkins for the frass. It was an incredible amount of work and the OE was much more abundant in tight quarters. I think next year, I'm going back to covering planters. Definitely been the most effective for us!

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I tried to grow milkweed in containers this year to try raising them like beebeeann describes, but our cold spring stunted the growth of my seedlings, so I didn't have plants nearly big enough to support even a few cats. I will attempt that again next spring. I have a south-facing window, now.
    Martha

• beebeeann
    9 years ago

Docmom, I observed the growth rate of the milkweed seedlings after the cats had eaten all of the tops off and saw them sprout new branches. I had never thought to trim them when they were so little, but it worked. Now when they're about 3-4 inches tall, I pinch off the tops and then do it again at about 6 inches. It's generated stronger growth and much more milkweed. The Giant Milkweed has definitely been the best investment so far. If that's something that's available in your area, look into it. It feeds SO many cats and grows back much faster than the other asclepias varieties.

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

I don't know how you're able to keep away the OE thing from the caterpillars, Bee Beeann. And I've heard of the Giant Milkweed Tree! Recently got myself a Balloon Plant Milkweed. Baby 1. Grows to 6 feet. I didn't know that about how that Tree "grows back much faster than the other Asclepias varieties".

• beebeeann
    9 years ago

The OE isn't completely gone, but I seem to have better results with them this way. It doesn't seem to spread as much as it did when I reared them in plastic containers. I'll have to take some photos of the Giant milkweed. It lives up to the name. It grows back much faster than the curassavica. I have cats on both and the giant starts showing leaves before the curassavica comes close. I had tried starting the Giant from seed before to no avail. If you can find it in a nursery, it's worth the buy! Best $12 I ever spent!

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

Looking forward to your Giant Milkweed pictures! Cool! Sweet. I just may inquiry at some plant places about Giant Milkweed!

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I planted Giant Milkweed in June. Here's a shot of it.
    {{gwi:536547}}

I have not seen any eggs nor caterpillars on it yet. It is growing rapidly and is now flowering from each stem. I'm not sure the butterflies like it. The leaves are quite leathery.

Jane

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

Maybe soften with water?

• beebeeann
    9 years ago

Jane! That is beautiful milkweed. I'll be sure to take pictures of mine tomorrow, not quite as pretty as yours. Keep the faith, if they're related to the ones I get here, they're going to love it when they find it!