Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mostone_gw

Can someone help me identify this butterfly?

mostone
11 years ago

{{gwi:537025}}

I'm at the Jersey Shore and keep seeing these little guys. What is it? Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

It's hard to see the pattern on the butterfly's underside, but there's no white spot in the orange field, so I assume it's a painted lady, not an American lady.
    They're beauties!

Sherry

• monkeybelle
    11 years ago

I was at the shore a couple weeks ago (Ocean City) and there were Painted Ladies in huge numbers, flying around on the beach. It was amazing.

-Sandy.

• mostone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! They are all over my rosemary.

• MikeinHershey
    10 years ago

I found this yesterday in my yard, anyone have any ideas? I live just outside of Hershey, PA. I appreciate any guidance.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Mike,
    I think yours is a Zebra Swallowtail. I've never seen one in real life, but it looks like photos others have posted here. They are so incredible, I think. Congratulations.

Martha

• MikeinHershey
    10 years ago

I have a close up if this helps. Yea, this is the first I've seen that looks this way, normally ours are orange and black maybe some yellow, but teal, white and red? (I did verify the teal is the color and not a reflection off of the hose)

• Jason_in_KY
    10 years ago

Beautiful Butterfly. 100% Zebra swallowtail. The only host plant they use is a Pawpaw tree so their range is restricted to that of the tree which is most of the Eastern half of the U.S. except for the far northern and southern areas for the most part. Congrats on the sighting, has to be my favorite butterfly of all.

• Tom
    10 years ago

The one major butterfly I have never been able to attract to my yard...I have a number of paw paws, but no Zebras. They are very beautiful.

For some reason I've seen a lot of photos of them here on the forum this year. I'm wondering if there are just more around this year.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I agree, Tom. I consider Zebra Swallowtails to be quite rare, but people have been posting pictures of them very frequently this year.

Martha

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Looks like a Painted Lady to me too mostone. Pretty shot.
    Nice looking Zebra Swallowtail Mike. I think that I have been the one who has inundated the forum with Zebra SWT pics this season!! I got lucky and found 4 cats, and I have probably caused everyone to become desensitized to Zebra SWT pics!! :o)
    Angie

Sponsored