Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you think she will fly?

Posted by NaturesFolly West MI 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 11:50

By now everyone knows about my trials with the late season cats, now they are starting to eclose. I have already released 3 healthy butterflies. Yesterday one of the cats that pupated on a paper towel eclosed, I found her on her back with the wings 3/4 filled. After putting her on the mesh she filled out the rest of her wing but they are slightly malformed but I think she could still fly. I put her on a flower to eat and left her there for most of the day... when it started to get cooler, she was still there so I brought her in for the night. Now she is in the sunlight in the cage on my deck where she seems to be excercising her wings. Do you think that there is a chance she will fly? Sorry this is so long :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you think she will fly?

I've seen butterflies with slightly deformed wings fly very well, but if they're more than just a little deformed, I doubt she'll make it. A butterfly that can't fly can't live long. But please give her every opportunity to exercise her wings - she may do fine.

Sorry - here's hoping she makes it!

Sherry

o

Give her a chance. If she flies, so be it but every now and then Nature puts out a dud that doesn't survive and there is not much we can do about that. The fact that she is exercising is a good sign, but the only way to find out is to let her try and wish her well.

o

Left her outside all day with periods of freedom so she could fly, she just fluttered to the ground and was unable to fly back up so once again she is in the back room with some sugar water.

o

SHE FLEW AWAY today!!

o

That's wonderful!!

Sherry

o

Whew,im glad she did :-)

o

Awesome news!!

o

Hooray, all she needed was a little extra attention...

o

I am sure she will fly :)
This reminds me about one of my African Monarches.
The poor thing was having it's pupa eaten by ants while it was still inside, so it hatched with a missing antenna and plus, it fell from the pupa and its wings did never form. Me and my small bro were examining it and I remarked "Well, this one is ugly" but my lil bro replied with it being the prettiest he's seen. So as we knew it wont live for long, we thought about making the last few days of it's life fun. :)
We took photos, fed it, took it out, etc till a day later, as it had already passed away during the midday. :'(
-TL;DR: All I am saying is that, even if it cannot fly, keep her as a pet. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

o

I am sure she will fly :)
This reminds me about one of my African Monarches.
The poor thing had it's pupa eaten by ants while it was still inside, so it hatched with a missing antenna and plus, it fell from the pupa and its wings never did form. Me and my small bro were examining it and I remarked "Well, this one is ugly" but my lil bro replied with it being the prettiest he's seen. So as we knew it wont live for long, we thought about making the last few days of it's life fun. :)
We took photos, fed it, took it out, etc till a day later, as it had already passed away during the midday. :'(
-TL;DR: All I am saying is that, even if it cannot fly, keep her as a pet. :)

This post was edited by NOACCEPTANCE772 on Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 18:32

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here