Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Mystery Moth

MissSherry
11 years ago

Before Hurricane Katrina in 2005, there were ABUNDANT numbers of small, very fast-flying, day-flying moths that nectared mainly on lantana and butterfly bush. They almost disappeared after the hurricane, but they're making a comeback and are nearly as numerous now as they were before 2005. I've never identified them, so I'm going to try in earnest to do so now. I've tried to make their picture many times, but usually the pictures just show a blur, but today I got a decent enough picture of one nectaring on white butterfly bush.

Does anybody already know what they are?

{{gwi:537224}}

Sherry

Comments (6)

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

There are many noctuids that have the single or double silvery FW spots. The golden patches, especially near the FW tips, is typical of Argyrogramma verruca, the golden looper.

Ranges clear down to Paraguay.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! You're the ID King, Larry!

I looked up Argyrogramma verruca, the golden looper, in my moth book, and it doesn't even show the double silvery spots, which is what I was keying on.

I used to think they were some sort of little sphinx moth, because of the way they nectar on flowers in the daytime, like hummingbird clearwings. Their wings beat as fast or faster as hummingbirds and clearwing moths - they really zoom around! None of the descriptions I could find on the internet mention that they're day-flying moths.

Even though I couldn't find much about their behavior, I did find a link to Cafe Press for a t-shirt, a throw pillow, and other things with a picture of a rapid flying moth as they call it. They show the rapid flying moth nectaring on flowers.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Rapid-Flying Moth/Argyrogramma verruca

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Many images of this moth do not have the silver spots. I don't know if it's a gender thing or just natural variation.

The type specimens must have had the spots, as the Genus name is Greek for "silver letter".

Quite a reversal of fortune for moths, going from eating holes in clothes to being pictured on them.

• turtledon
    11 years ago

I think that you will find that moth to be Chrysodiexis includens. It has a metalic gold sheen in sunlight and at lights at night. It is a nice looking moth as are most all of the Plusinaes, but it is a pest of many plants and can be quite common. The MPG pictures don't do it justice. There are 5 or 6 species of that subfamily flying right now and that gold color is a dead giveaway for that one.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Many moths of that family have golden or coppery patches, they are not dead giveaways for any particular species.

Argyrogramma verruca:
    1) Has golden patch right at FW tip
    2) Has a series or continuous golden patch continuing on FW margins
    3) Golden patch near silver FW spots is distinctly subdivided by a darker line and has an irregular trapezoidal shape
    4) Has a daytime habit and rapid flight as described by Miss Sherry.

The two suggested moths are similar and related, but the details of the wing pattern lead me to stick with A. veruca.

Here is an edition of the original missherry moth lightened and contrasted to better show the golden patches:
    {{gwi:537225}}

Perhaps the image could be submitted to bugguide or MSU for other opinions.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've looked at the pictures of A. verruca on the MPG, and of the three pictures with open wings, the two of the males show the silvery markings, and the one of the female shows no such markings - all have golden patches. So I have no doubt that my moth is a male golden looper moth, but thanks SO much for your input turtledon!

Sherry

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor