Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

The dummy needs help again!

bob_71
10 years ago

I just can't seem to get the markings on my yellow butterflies to match up with the ones in my Kaufman Field Guide!

Your help will again be appreciated!

Bob

Comments (10)

• bob_71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another shot.

Bob

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Looks like a Sleepy Orange to me, but I am no expert. :o)

• Liz
    10 years ago

I have no idea what it is, but it's pretty!
    Liz

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I love the Kaufman field guide - the pictures make IDing most butterflies SO easy! - but the sleepy orange it shows doesn't look like a sleepy orange. I was as confused as you about IDing them, Bob, until I started checking out other field guides. I knew that my medium sized yellow butterflies were using cassias, so they had to be one of the cassia eaters, and I finally confirmed their identity.

Your sulphur is a sleepy orange, and a beautiful one, too!

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

I raise quite a lot of Sleepy Oranges here, so that one is easier for me to ID than some of the other little yellow Sulphurs. The Sleepy Orange also has a winter color form, and it is quite different than the summer form. Here is a shot of one of my winter color forms before release.
    Angie

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous butterfly! I'm having trouble IDing the clouded, cloudless & orange sulphurs....

Nerry

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Today must be the day we discover the differences in our butterflies and caterpillars, Angie! I've read about the winter form for the sleepy orange, but never seen it - my winter SOs are bright yellow, just like the summer form, no difference.

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

That really is interesting Sherry. It is amazing to me to learn about regional differences within the same butterfly species. Only a very small percentage of my Sleepy Oranges which eclose in the fall are the winter color form, so it isn't something that I see often.

Nerry, I am with you on the Clouded and the Orange. The Cloudless though are quite a bit larger than the other two, and they can almost appear to be green in color. They also seem to have a real love of tubular shaped flowers for nectaring here, which is not something that I see with other Sulphurs.

Angie

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Angie for the explanation; every little bit helps. I find everyone to be so kind and willing to help novices like myself. Have a good weekend all.

Nerry

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Welcome Nerry. Everyone here, including yourself, has something valuable to share with others. I am certainly no butterfly expert, but I am willing to share my experiences and what I have learned, and I very much enjoy learning from all of you here. :o)
    Angie