Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

Tithonia-My first year

bob_71
12 years ago

Having observed how many of you grow the "Mexican sunflower", I decided to try it myself. I got some seeds and planted two pots (5 gallon size) so I could more easily move them around to maximize the sunlight in my over-shaded yard. For awhile, they seemed to do very well. But, as they continued to grow, and GROW, they worked me to death just returning them to an upright position and watering several times a day. They are beautiful, vigorous and the only plant that I notice the butterflies making a direct approach to. I made a mistake! These plants do not belong in an above-ground pot unless that pot is a huge one. Even so, these are obviously a major source of nectar for the butterflies, especially the larger types. I am attaching a few shots and I would enjoy seeing your shots of this plant, with or without, butterflies!

Bob

The color is vivid!

{{gwi:537816}}

{{gwi:537817}}

{{gwi:537818}}

Variegated Fritillary (Euoptoieta claudia) nectaring.

{{gwi:537819}}

{{gwi:537820}}

Comments (17)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

You are right, Bob. They don't work in pots. Mine last year were huge and eventually fell over, but kept blooming. One plant took over a very large area. I will grow them next year, but stake them in the beginning and give them plenty of room. They do attract the butterflies though:)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

As usual, your pictures are great, Bob!
    I didn't plant them this year, but used their bed for zinnias instead. Next year I'll probably do Mexican sunflowers again. Nothing attracts the big guys any better than these, but I have to plant mine in a bed by the fence, so I can tie them to the fence. They get big and after a good rain, they all fall over unless staked or tied up.
    Here's a giant swallowtail on one -
    {{gwi:334043}}
    Sherry

• terrene
    12 years ago

My Tithonia are spectacular this year but they did take a beating during tropical storm Irene and I had to stake them back up straight.

I haven't grown the small cultivar (can't remember the name), but have grown 'Aztec sun' for several years, and the plants are much smaller than the orange species and it has gold-colored flowers.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Are the flowers on 'Aztec Sun' as big as the regulars, terrene? The big flowers give the big butterflies a good landing pad - if the flowers are the size of zinnias, they wouldn't give them that advantage.
    Sherry

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

Sherry,

There is a shorter variety of the striking orange called 'Fiesta del Sol' which is a dwarf form, growing about 30 inches tall. It was an All American Annual winner in 2000 and is easier to use in smaller gardens.... I just don't know if the bloom is expected to be smaller than Torch. If I ever come across the seed, I might give it a try.

~Mary

• bob_71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Seeds for 'Fiesta del Sol' are available at:
    http://www.seedsandmore-store.com/catalog.php/seedsandmore/pd11544

Bob

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Fiesta del Sol works just as well as the Torch variety in my garden. The flowers are not smaller, the plants are just shorter. I didn't get any Tithonia planted this year. My mistake. I'll rectify that next year.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Me too, Sandy!
    Fiesta del sol is the variety I always plant, because the local Walmart carries the seeds. But I noticed that Bob's Mexican sunflowers are about as wide as the variegated frit on it. My Fiesta del Sol makes bigger flowers -
    {{gwi:463239}}
    FDS grows to about 5' tall here and flops over after a big rain, so I still have to tie it to the fence, which is no problem. It sure attracts the butterflies!
    Sherry

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

Thank you, Bob, for the seed link. I was going to purchase from them but 1 small packet of seed was going to cost an additional 4.95 in s/h.; almost 8 dollars for a small packet of seed. Yikes! Not even certain I have room to grow them so think I'll wait and hope our Wal-Mart carries this seed next spring.

Thanks again for being so thoughtful.

~Mary

• bob_71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Miss Sherry, mine were "Torch", just runts due to the stress I placed them under. They were about five feet tall but wilted multiple times daily in the drought and my watering surely wasn't adequate!

Bob

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I thought they looked different from mine, Bob.
    You must have done a good enough job of watering them, because they sure are beautiful!
    Sherry

• JamesY40
    12 years ago

Has anyone grown Tithonia Arcadian Blend from T&M? I bought some seeds to plant next year, and hope they are as attractive as the ones in the above pictures. James

• terrene
    12 years ago

Miss Sherry, the blooms on the Aztec Sun might be slightly smaller, but it's not something that's really noticeable. The plants seem overall less vigorous than the orange species. Very pretty though.

I originally bought the seeds from Dianes Seeds, grew only the Aztec Sun one year, and collected some of the seed, which have seeded true to color.

I grow all the Titonia together, although the orange plants are 2 or 3 feet taller than Aztec sun. The Fiesta del sol and Aztec sun would probably make a nice colorful combo.

• minrose
    12 years ago

Gorgeous flower and photos, thanks for sharing.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

All the photos are beautiful. Tithonia is a very photogenic flower. : )

I've grown Torch and Fiesta del Sol. The volunteers I've been getting for the last few years may be a cross of those two I'm not sure. Some flowers are a little darker than others and it makes me wonder if a person could get a true red with some selective breeding or maybe that's already available.

My tithonia didn't do well this year, they came up later than normal, and the heat and drought has been hard on them. I have a few that haven't even bloomed yet and my butterflies are already starting to dwindle. I think I'll try winter sowing them next year to get an earlier start.

• siam_cannas
    12 years ago

Lovely photos, i like tithonia alot, so easy to grow, but i prefer tithonia diversifloiaa because its a perennial for me.
    Siam