Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants getting absorbed

Posted by JoKuehn none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 13:10

Hi,

I am noticing that some plants seem to be getting absorbed by other in my butterfly garden. It seems like my Black eyed susans and Wild Bergamont are being taken over by the cone flowers. Is this possible?

Jolene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants getting absorbed

One plant crowding out, shading out, and so eventually killing it is normal plant behavior. My huge lantana was shading out the white butterfly bush next to it, so I cut back that side of the lantana in hopes the butterfly bush can recover its vigor. Many of the trees I planted after Hurricane Katrina have gotten shaded out and died because of volunteer native trees, making me wonder why I planted them in the first place.
This is normal.

Sherry

o
RE: Plants getting absorbed

Hi Sherry,

I just saw your response now! Thanks for getting back to me and I am sorry that I didn't see your response sooner.

Jolene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here