Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wifey2mikey

A Butterfly First for Me

wifey2mikey
12 years ago

Pardon my EXCITEMENT! This was a first for me and my yard so I'm thrilled. I about tripped and killed myself running into the house to get my camera battery (which was charging) and my SD card (which was in my computer) and the camera, too, of course!

Isn't he pretty? (I'm guessing it's a "he" based on my Kauffman guide.)

{{gwi:538038}}

{{gwi:538040}}

Comments (13)

• MissButterfly
    12 years ago

Wow! Great purple hairstreaks are such beauties - congrats, congrats! I haven't seen one in years, since before the hurricane, I think. I even considered trying to get mistletoe to grow on some of my oak trees, until I realized it would eventually kill the tree. Hmmm....now that I think about it, there are a few oak trees here that have been pitiful looking since Katrina - maybe they're good candidates for mistletoe, if I can just figure out how to "administer" the seeds!

Sherry formerly known as misssherry

• seedmoney
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh, thanks for posting this--I've never seen one either. Just stunning, and your fellow looks very fresh...

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! He stayed around and posed for quite some time. I got tons of pictures. i haven't had time to go through them yet to find the best ones.

It's been a terrific butterfly day in my yard. All at the same time, I had 4 monarchs, 4 painted ladies, 3 cabbage whites, the great purple hairstreak, 1 male black swallowtail, and numerous kinds and quantities of skippers. I also have 8 baby monarch caterpillars now (inside in my "nursery.")

Makes my heart happy. :-)

~Laura

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Beautiful, Laura. You must have mistletoe close by. I think these are one of the prettiest little guys around.

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely photos. I've never seen one of these little guys, either, and he's a beauty! As Miss Sherry, err, MissButterfly says, congrats, congrats. :-)

~Mary

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone! It was definitely an exciting moment. :-) I have had time to go through my pictures now and think I have found a few that are better.

{{gwi:538043}}

{{gwi:538045}}

He definitely seemed to prefer the butterfly weed. He would go to the lantana and stay for a bit, but would always end back up on the b.w.

~Laura

• MissButterfly
    12 years ago

Back before the hurricane, an aberrant, white-bodied GPH visited. I got this picture -
    {{gwi:470742}}
    And here's my best picture of a normal one -
    {{gwi:466562}}

I sure wish they'd return!

Sherry

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Sherry, you can say definitely that the first photo is in Black and White!! LOL!

Gorgeous photos, Laura, and I am so envious! I have mistletoe in the trees around me - across the street, and keeping hoping I will see one. I think they must hang around in the rural areas, close to streams, rivers, lakes????? I don't often see any of these butterflies that prefer that habitat, like the Viceroys and RSPs, for instance.

I am seeing lots of Monarchs, hairstreaks, skippers, and a lone Buckeye. The Monarchs are NOT laying eggs, though.

Susan

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sherry - beautiful pictures! I really love the black and white one. I am not sure I would have ever figured out what it was since there is no picture in the Kaufman field guide! I'm still such a newbie at all of this!

Susan, I live smack in the middle of Tulsa - but my neighborhood does have several large green belt areas - one large one complete with two ponds and a stream, lots of trees, etc. So maybe that's why it was here?

I have had lots of Monarchs, but am just now really seeing eggs and baby hatchlings. I have captured 13 hatchlings and have them inside in my make-shift "nursery." Yesterday I saw a female laying eggs all over the place, so hopefully I'll have more (and have enough to feed them all.) Trying to decide what my limit will be...

~Laura

• Tony G
    12 years ago

oh, we get those in Minnesota all the time! haha kidding. what a beautiful butterfly....happy for your find! Tony

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It was back today!

• imabirdnut
    12 years ago

I haven't seen one since 2009 about this time of year! Here is the only pic I have so far on my garlic chives...
    {{gwi:538048}}

I have mistletoe growing in some of my native cedar elms & have left it there just for these beautiful BFs!
    Did you get to see his wings open? They are such a beautiful irridescent blue! GORGEOUS!!!

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

The Garlic Chives really attract butterflies, but it blooms for such a short, short time, doesn't it?

Laura, I'm so glad to see you say that you are just now seeing eggs and hatchlings! I have collected 3 or 4, and that's all, even tho I have both male and female Monarchs - about 7 yesterday - on the Sunflowers again. They are very "fresh" looking, so not old and worn looking butterflies. I keep wondering why they aren't laying eggs. My Tropical Milkweed is looking great - aphid free for once. So, I am totally ready for them.

Yesterday, I had a Mourning Cloak in the yard on the banana feeder. Very worn looking. I love these gorgeous butterflies. They are bold and unafraid. I remember photographing one a few years ago, and whenever I wanted a pic with open wings, I just tapped her on the wings and she'd open them. Fearless!

I think I would pass out if I ever saw a GPH! What a wonderful sight.

Susan

Sponsored