Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agkistrodon

Dates for monarchs?

agkistrodon
9 years ago

I have just gotten back to my home in VA after spending the summer away and found a chrysalis hanging on the side of a bucket outside. I am pretty sure it's a monarch (unless there are other species w/similar chrysalises....I raised monarchs as a child a LONGGG time ago but haven't seen a chrysalis since) and I showed it to my daughter, telling her that she might see the butterfly emerge soon....but then I realised that it was also possible that the pupa had died....I raised monarchs in another country so I'm not sure of the timing of their life cycle here....isn't it a bit late for monarchs to be in chrysalises in the middle of Sept?! I live on a mtn in Northern VA if location is important. Could someone give me approximate stage/instar dates for the eastern US?

Thank-you so much!

Comments (11)

• Liz
    9 years ago

It would be great if you could post a picture. Someone here should be able to give you a positive ID.

As to dates, I think you're OK. Mine are just starting to pupate now. I live in NJ. I think they can still make it to Mexico .
    Liz

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input Dr. Liz. Here's the chrysalis...looks a bit darker today than yesterday so I'm hoping that's a sign that all is well :)

• Liz
    9 years ago

Hmm, not sure. They do turn black before they emerge, but it can also be a sign of disease. I'm not experienced enough to be able to tell you, but maybe somebody else will pick up the ball. In any case, if it is sick you will know soon enough because it will start to ooze fluid and look disgusting. If it is a sign that the butterfly will emerge shortly, you will know that too.
    Liz

PS. That is definitely a monarch chrysalis.
    Liz

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    9 years ago

That one looks like it has problems to me. Brown is bad for monarch chrysalises. I doubt a butterfly will ever emerge.

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank-you both for your input. This year has been a strange one for insects and plants here (and probably elsewhere). There were no slugs in the Spring, few butterflies in the Summer and though I'm thrilled about this next one I am also puzzled...but we are usually swarming w/marmorated stinkbugs when the temps start falling....not a single one so far! Doors and windows are wide open....they're usually taped shut by now....if anyone here is familiar w/stinkies you know how easily they'll get in :)

• alch21
    9 years ago

Right timing for Monarchs and right chrysalis as well. It is a Monarch but I do agree that this one is diseased! Sorry

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input. I have since found several chrysalises and all have a similar appearance....what could be causing the "disease"? Are the pupae parasitized by wasps? Is there some pathogen? Is there something wrong w/the Asclepias? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Thank-you.

• Tony G
    9 years ago

it looks similar to some of the chrysalises I've had that were parasitized by tachinid flies. If that's the case, a maggot or pupa will exit the chrysalis and fall to the floor. You can avoid them by bringing in eggs or small caterpillars, Tony

• terrene
    9 years ago

My last 2 Monarchs eclosed on Saturday, 2 beautiful females. There might be a few odd Monarchs eclosing yet around here, but the season is pretty much over. We've had a couple nights get down to 38-40F.

It's still within a reasonable time frame for there to be Monarch larvae and chrysalises in VA, which is 1-2 zones warmer than here. However, as others say that chrysalis is not viable. I would euthanize it so that a fly doesn't emerge.

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input coolbutterfly and terrene. Unfortunately I'm not around for most of the summer thus not able to help the monarchs here. I found a couple of Sphinxes that had been parasitized but maybe by a different species of fly as the caterpillars died before they ever entered the chrysalis stage. I've actually never seen so many monarchs here (not a huge no. but a relatively large no. for this place). My daughter and I planted some A. tuberosa's (Hello Yellow),,,maybe that helped :)! Funny thing is I know the caterpillars need Asclepias sp. plants and we put in some Monarda and we have lots of goldenrod, chelone and Joe Pye fot the butterflies but you know what is always the wings down favourite?! That darn thistle!!!!!!

Anyway, I like to think that some caterpillars survived and at least we're providing some food sources for the Fall migration...every little bit helps :)!

• Sandpaper Tongue
    9 years ago

I'm in Northern VA and just saw 2 fifth instar monarch cats yesterday! These are the first I have seen this year, though it's been such a bad year for butterflies for me that I gave up looking early in the summer so I don't know how many I have missed.